It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

In RTC, how can I rank a task from one project higher than a task in another project?

Glyn Costello (13636) | asked Oct 30 '19, 1:37 p.m.

In a formal management project...  i.e. if I am managing a team, and I have someone working on two or three different projects, 50% on one, 30% on another and 20% on another, each has tasks, each has a plan, RTC has applied levelling, and adjusted the scheduling. 

How can I tell RTC that a task in project A should be worked on before project B? Within a project, this would be "ranking"... how does it work across projects and how can I vary it?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 31 '19, 4:05 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 31 '19, 4:06 a.m.

I am not sure you can do that.

As far as I know, the ranking lives in a plan and a plan is scoped to its owner and an iteration. All these concepts are local to a project area. The Traditional planning provides a successor/predecessor relationship that, as far as I can tell, is only used within a plan - so local to a project area.

Cross project planning basically allows you to track plan items across project areas, but it does not provide any means I am aware of to prioritize any of the tracked plan items. Successor/Predecessor does not work at this level as far as I know. 

Glyn Costello selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Ian Wark (79713450) | answered Oct 31 '19, 2:25 a.m.
When it is in a single formal plan I think you can use dependencies and constraints:
https://jazz.net/library/article/657

To do this across projects, you might be able to use a cross-project plan. You set up the tracking and it will provide a schedule, based on the other plans that it references.

Have a look at this link:

Knowledge Center

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.