It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Empty Change set creation while working in RTC Client

Rakesh A (33431) | asked Oct 24 '19, 1:19 a.m.
Hello,
   There is are some scenarios in RTC where an empty change sets are created while working in RTC client.
For E.g.:
1. Merged File: A file is already associated with a change set. During merge scenarios, after resolving the conflicts if user want to check in. RTC suggests two options:
Option 1: Check-in to existing change set. This is fine.
Option 2: New change set : If user attempts to check in. A pop-up dialogue appears saying  "check-in has encountered problem" .Till here it's fine. But it also creates an empty change set

2. Undo: If undo is performed to a  file associated with change set. Undo happens for a file but an empty change set remains. 

Let me know : if these are the expected behavior (or)
if there are any enhancement planned for these behavior ?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Oct 24 '19, 2:11 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 24 '19, 2:18 a.m.
  1. Option 2 -  there should be no problem checking in, the change should be checked into the new change set. The problem could be that there is an open change set already that contains changes to the file. I would opt to complete all my change sets before starting the merge, to actually separate the changes for the merge from my own stuff. So option 1 would never happen.
  2. If a change set has been created and the change set is not completed and an undo is performed that removes the change of the change set from the component/files, obviously the change set would be still there. I would consider that expected and quite logic behavior. If you do not want to keep the change set e.g. for other changes, discard the change set. If you had completed the change set you would actually get a new change set for the undo. 

Rakesh A selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Oct 24 '19, 2:39 p.m.

In general, there are various valid ways to create an empty change set (Ralph's answer describes some of them), so having an empty change set by itself is not an indication of a problem.  The only problem I see in the behavior you reported is the unhelpful error message in in 1-option-2.  So submitting a defect asking for a more meaningful error message would be very reasonable.   Also, if you do not have an incomplete change set with changes to that file, then you could ask IBM support to help you figure out why you got that error message.

Comments
Rakesh A commented Mar 10 '20, 2:20 a.m. | edited Mar 10 '20, 1:37 p.m.

In which version this enhanced message will be brought in ?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 10 '20, 1:39 p.m.

The "planned for" field of the jazz.net defect work item indicates what release it is planned for.   If the field is not set, or if it is set to "backlog", it is not currently planned for a release. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.