It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Circular Dependency identification for Cross project plan with 3 level

vinitha dsouza (14719119) | asked Sep 18 '19, 8:40 a.m.
Hello Team,

I am getting Circular Dependency Issue when i open the plan.

Most of the times it shows the error, some times not.

But due to 3 level hierarchy , i am finding it  hard to find the root cause, though system says,

A circular reference between plan items been detected. This plan may display inaccurate durations or dates. You can correct this by deleting a Tracks link:Work Item 917619:xxxxxxxxxxxxx TracksWork Item 848531: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

How should i interpret above message?

In playground, i am trying to reproduce like below, i dont get the message,

Workitem 1 => Tracks Workiterm 2 => Tracks => Workitem 1.

Please help

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Sep 18 '19, 9:42 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The message is relatively easy to interpret. 

"A circular reference between plan items been detected. This plan may display inaccurate durations or dates. You can correct this by deleting a Tracks link:Work Item 917619:xxxxxxxxxxxxx Tracks Work Item 848531: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx."

When reading the message it becomes apparent that, and I cite:

You can correct this by deleting a Tracks link:from Work Item 917619 Tracks Work Item 848531."

It might be interesting to look at the relationships between the items that the error message complains about.
Without directly looking at your system there is no way of telling how you managed to create the circular dependency.

Comments
vinitha dsouza commented Sep 18 '19, 10:07 a.m.
I see this is easy way out. But i would like to find the main workitems which can caused this issue.
in the above example 848531 has 40+ workitems and has sublevel workitems as well.
I cannot just delete the tracks link, instead which workitem out of 40 has caused this is difficult to find out.

Other question:
for eg: Workitem 1 -> Tracks -> Workitem 2 -> Tracks -> Workitem 3 -> Workitem 1

What i see here is ,tool says circular dependency by saying Remove link between Workitem 1 and Workitem 2 but not pointing to underlying workitem which has caused.

Which is not of help.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.