It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Importing Word Document into DOORS NG Anomaly When Using Delimiters

Mary Miller (87125) | asked Sep 10 '19, 3:51 p.m.

Good day,

I ran into an anomaly when importing a word document into DOORS NG when using delimiters.  I want to see if this is normal or if there is a fix for this.  

We are currently using DOORS NG 6.0.6 iFix10.  I am not sure how soon we are going to DOORS Next 7 when it is released.  Unfortunately, I cannot upload images.

Here is the situation.  I have an example SRS that I used to import into DOORS NG.  There are delimiters around the Actors.  The bolded text is highlighted in Word for a comment.  

>>>>
"The <Reviewers> return their comments, which are used by the <Editor> to make a decision on the article."

The comment is: "This is a test comment to verify that comments will go into DOORS NG."
>>>>

If I import the Word document into DOORS NG 6.0.6, without indicating that the "<" and ">" are delimiters, the Word comment imports into DOORS NG without a problem.

If I import the Word document into DOORS NG 6.0.6 where "<" and ">" are listed as delimiters, the Word comment only shows up as a date time stamp in DOORS NG.  The comment itself does not import into DOORS NG.  It does not seem to matter where the comment is located within a document that uses delimiters.  

Has this issue been noted elsewhere?

Thanks!

Mary

Accepted answer

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k243149) | answered Sep 11 '19, 12:57 p.m.

Hi Mary,

When I have used the delimiters feature for Word imports I have always put the delimiters around whole paragraphs.

Those paragraphs then get imported as artifacts of the chosen type (User Requirement, System Requirement,... etc.) when those import options are selected.

You are putting delimiters around single words within a paragraph.

I think I can see what your intent is: You want 'actor' artifacts to get created and maybe somehow an embedded link to be created from the word in the paragraph to the actor artifact (?).

I don't think the delimiter option on importing is as clever as that and so the importer is getting confused and not importing your comments correctly.

I would suggest that you could try putting the delimiters around entire paragraphs instead of words within paragraphs and see if the comments then get imported correctly.

eg.

"<The Reviewers return their comments, which are used by the Editor to make a decision on the article.>"

<> delimiters = User Requirement Artifact type

This will not achieve your 'actor' artifact creation intent but it may debug the problem to some extent and may show that the importer delimiters are maybe not designed to do what you are trying to do.

Mary Miller selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.