It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I allow a user to modify an enumeration without being able to modify the process specification?

Timothy Distel (73146) | asked Aug 21 '19, 2:00 p.m.

Hello,

I am using CLM Suite 6.0.6.

My question is how I can allow a user to modify enumerations values without giving them permissions to modify the process specification of the project area. This question has been answered previously:

According to Ralph's original answer, this can be done but only if the enumeration is created by an admin, stored in the database, and the project area does not use process sharing. All of this holds true for my instance, however when a non-admin user who has the appropriate enum permissions tries to add an enumeration value, they get an error which tells them they must have the "modify process specification" permission. Am I missing something? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 21 '19, 10:27 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

When you created the enumeration, you are sure that you checked the "Database" check box, and not the "Process Specification" check box? 

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 22 '19, 12:58 a.m.

The whole purpose of storing the database based enumeration was for just this purpose. So I would be surprised if it would not work. 

Timothy Distel commented Aug 22 '19, 7:24 a.m.

Geoffrey,

Yes I'm sure I checked the database checkbox when creating the enumeration. I double checked and I believe only the enumerations stored in the database give individual permissions for creating values for those enumerations under "save enumeration" in the work items section of permissions. This enumeration does indeed have a separate permission, and the other two prerequisite configurations hold true.

I do have a follow-on question I'm curious about. Do these users modify the enumeration in the same way as an admin would in the web UI? Meaning Manage Project Area > Work Items > Enumerations, or is there another endpoint the users must access?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 22 '19, 1:19 p.m.

As I recall, for database enumerations, a user that has been given permission to create new enumeration values would be able to create a new enumeration value in the GUI when they are setting the enumeration value of a property with that enumeration type. 

Timothy Distel commented Aug 22 '19, 1:29 p.m.

Do you mean that users should be able to add enumeration values directly from a work item that has an attribute with that enumeration as the data type? If that is the case, I assume the display of that functionality to be the issue since there didn't seem to be a means to do this on the work item itself

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 22 '19, 2:19 p.m.

To see the "add enumeration value", you need to modify the editor display for that attribute.   See: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/83961/rtc40-store-enumeration-in-database-how-does-that-work for details. 

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Timothy Distel commented Aug 23 '19, 7:32 a.m. | edited Aug 23 '19, 9:38 a.m.

Thanks Geoffrey,

I had a feeling the "non-admin" user had to make changes to the enumeration in a different context but wasn't sure where or how to access it. I always seem to miss the smallest configurations with these types of functionalities. I went to select this as the correct answer, but its not an option. Thanks again

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 23 '19, 9:38 a.m.

I converted my "comment" to be an "answer", so you can now select it as the correct answer :-) 

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Aug 23 '19, 6:32 a.m.

I just ran a test. 

1. I have a user who can not modify the process - JKE Banking project area, Deb Team Member role. I checked and the user can not change the process. Attempt prompts error.
  2. I created a new Enumeration Stored in the database. Just one enumeration attribute unassigned, default (admin)
  3. I added the presentation to defect, allowing to define new enumerations (admin)
  4. Deb can create a defect, see the enumeration, add an enumeration value - error on save: permission to create new enumeration value is missing for the new enumeration
  5. Granted Team Member role the permission to create and save a new enumeration value
  6.  Deb can create a defect, see the enumeration, add an enumeration value - save succeeds
If you have done something like this and still see the error, open a case with support.

Comments
Matt Muller commented Aug 23 '19, 8:37 a.m. | edited Aug 23 '19, 8:41 a.m.

Ralph / Timothy,

Isn't one key activity to edit the Attribute-based presentation in Editor Presentation tick the:  "Allow to add new literals" in Step 3.

From Memory this changes the presentation in the work Item to add the + Button?

(I maybe wrong here and going crazy - sorry if I am)

Oh this was already answered by Geoffrey (but not listed) - Forum hide that item

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 23 '19, 9:18 a.m. | edited Aug 23 '19, 9:19 a.m.
Hi Matt,

yes, in step 3 you have to tick the check box at the bottom, if you want users to be able to create new vaues. In that case the user can simply type some value and is asked if they want to add a literal, if that was not available. As mentioned in step 4 and 5 there is a permission involved that you can (or can not) grant to certain roles. E.g. a 'Scrum Master' could be alowed to add an enumeration literal, but a 'Customer' could not.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.