It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Before removing a user, how to find out whether that user owns any work items?

WenJia Zhang (113) | asked Jul 08 '19, 10:31 p.m.
edited Jul 09 '19, 11:56 a.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
I want to remove a member, but before that ,i need to know is there any workitem status is unresolved under him.
if have exist workitem, i can not remove the memeber and give a warning info.
can do it via operation advisor?
how to do it?
thx

2 answers

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | answered Jul 09 '19, 8:16 p.m.
How often will you be removing users?

This is not something that is done often so the simplest way would be to just create a query to show all unresolved items for a user, then use the bulk edit capability to reassign them.

You could even set up a query to show unresolved items assigned to archived users and put this on the dashboard so that you can quickly see any that need attention - clicking on this widget would take you to the query and allow you to bulk edit to reassign as above.

This would be the lowest effort approach - I feel trying to automate this is overcooking it a bit.

Comments
WenJia Zhang commented Jul 09 '19, 9:27 p.m. | edited Jul 10 '19, 1:02 a.m.
well, this is a work around way to do it, but i am not sure my custom will accept it...
maybe like Ralph said that ,need to develop a client tool is a best way~
Thanks~

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 10 '19, 1:05 a.m. | edited Jul 10 '19, 1:06 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

This is not a work around, this is how most customers are likely doing it.

Note that just from removing a user from a project area does not remove them from the repository (which you can not do that easily) and thus the work item is not broken when this happens. You could even query for this user as owner. It is a process driven decision what to do with such work items. I would set the user to unassigned.

The automation I proposed is basically only that - automation. And automation is costly and needs maintenance. So it is basically a judgement call if it is worth it.

permanent link
Bharath Rao (90034) | answered Jul 09 '19, 2:37 a.m.
Hi,

You could try exploring operation advisor / participant on project area save. The details in the below forum discussion could be of help:

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jul 09 '19, 2:57 a.m.

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 09 '19, 3:55 a.m.

I would suggest to rather create a client tool that 

1. Receives a list of users ID's and a project area.  
  2. Checks (expression) if there are open work items for any of the users and provides a warning
  3. Removes the user if there is no work item
See 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.