It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Query RTC change set details from Jenkins

Balu Pillai (1314) | asked Jun 25 '19, 5:07 a.m.

Hi dear all, 

I have a pipeline job that polls the SCM @ 5mins. It checks out and builds/tests etc. the source code on change (when there is a new change set pushed to the stream my job is following). All this works very well and I would like to add a few more features and please would require some expert advises. Many thanks.

1. Query for RTC change set details so I can perform actions such as selectively build and test code depending on where the change is made or email the person if the build is broken etc. 

I cannot see this is possible using the Team Concert Plug-in because none of the environmental variables provide this data https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Team+Concert+Plugin. E.g. buildRequesterUserId will always be a timer or will be the admin who may want to manually trigger the job and not the person who has pushed a change set. Is my conclusion right? It would have been great if I could get this info from the Plug in.

2. General environmental variables available to shell scripts:

The variable provided by Jenkins https://hudson.eclipse.org/webtools/env-vars.html/ looks very handy. BRANCH_NAME, CHANGE_ID, CHANGE_AUTHOR etc. are all great places for me to start. However, the description for these say that the project needs to be "Multi-branch" and that "if supported by SCM". Will I be able to use these variables for RTC integration? What are the things I need to watch out for?

3. I can see Jenkins is querying Change set details!

The "Changes" icon for a job, shows all the information I am after. I am aware this information is also logged as a file in the master. It wouldn't be ideal, but it is an option to scrape this data and use? But if Jenkins can access this info, so should I through my pipeline script? Is it advisable to use the RTC API? Do I need the SDK installed in that case? Kindly advise.

My configuration: The job in question is running on a single slave Windows machine. Master is a Linux server.
Jenkins version: 2.150.2
RTC version: 6.0.3
Jenkins-RTC integration - Team Concert Plug-in latest version.

Thanks for your continuous support. Please let me know if I missed to provide any information.!

One answer

permanent link
Balu Pillai (1314) | answered Jun 27 '19, 12:16 p.m.

After some for digging around, I have arrived at the following conclusions for now. 

- Jenkins variables such as CHANGE_AUTHOR etc. is not updated by the Team concert plug-in. It just returns NULL. 

- To get these details for a change set, I will either have to install the RTC SDK and use the Java APIs or extend RTC at the client to provide this data. 

- The environment variables such as buildRequesterUserId provided by Team concert plug-in is not helpful, as my RTC build engine is following a repository created by a static user (created for Jenkins). buildRequesterUserId variable always reveals this same user no matter who has pushed the code. Makes sense. 

So for now, I have found a working solution which is not the best but solves my need. Anyone facing the same problem, these are the steps below:

1. I make my Jenkins groovy switche to master node and make it to query for the RTC change log files, which is stored under  $JENKINS_HOME/jobs/$JOB_NAME/builds/$BUILD_ID as an XML file for each build.

2. I copy the contents into a local variable in groovy and switch back to my agent node (slave). So no scp or pscp. I save contents into a file. 

3. I parse the local file now, and extract information I require. E.g. email address of the user who has pushed the change etc. Perfect! :)

If anyone can suggest an alternate solution, please feel free to answer. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.