It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Potential Risks of Granting JazzUsers the Project Process Role of Administrator?

Mary Miller (87125) | asked Jun 14 '19, 1:00 p.m.
Good day,

I come from an organization that has strong governance in place.  So, only Tool Admins were allowed to modify project properties such as Artifact Types, Attributes, Templates, link types, etc.  This was done to ensure consistency across projects as it would have been very bad to present information, to the sponsor, that was not consistent.

However, I am now working for an organization that gives their JazzUsers the Project Process Role of Administrator.  They want their project owners to be able to customize their own projects.  I want to make sure I am present to the risks, and begin to develop a strategy to mitigate the risk so that I am not blindsided when troubleshooting.

Other than lack of consistency across projects, are their any other risks I should be on the look out for if the user is trained in DOORS NG?

What risks would I need to look out for if users are given JazzUsers the Project Process Role of Administrator if they are untrained in using DOORS NG?  What has been effective?

Thanks!

Mary

Accepted answer

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Jun 14 '19, 2:18 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

It can be very empowering for teams to be able to evolve their DNG type system to meet their needs without needing to open a work ticket and get some admin who doesn't really understand their domain to do it.

That said it's also possible to mess up your type system.

I recommend you give a few of the more experienced people project admin permissions. Then make sure they know enough to do it correctly. For example, if they create a new requirement attribute or artifact, make sure it has a unique URI as part of the definition.

Some organizations require teams to use a certain minimal set of attributes to enable program- and organization-level reporting, with the teams free to innovate with other attributes.  This does require some coordination across teams.

And make sure all your users understand the implications of extensive "batch" operations, like importing ReqIF, Word, Excel or CSV files--including where to import them too.

Mary Miller selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Mary Miller commented Jun 14 '19, 2:38 p.m. | edited Jun 14 '19, 2:55 p.m.
Okay, thank you.  This is very helpful.  I was deeply concerned, although I figured there must be some reason people are given access to modifying project properties.

Different question.  Is there some more central way to make a minimal set of attributes available across projects?  I think I can do this by creating a Lifecycle Project and having various Project Areas connected to it.

Would this be a workable solution if we later get RTC or QM? 

Thanks again!

Mary

Mary Miller commented Jun 17 '19, 1:42 p.m.

I think I figured out the answer to my own question.  I was making it too complicated earlier.  

Thanks!

Mary 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.