It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How store data in external content repositories in RTC SCM.

kirti dalavi (154) | asked Jun 14 '19, 6:29 a.m.
retagged Jun 28 '19, 2:00 p.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)
Hello Everyone,

I am using Rational Team Concert  6.0.6.

I have to stored all data which will be changed in RTC SCM to be stored in external content repository instead of database.
Using external content repository can we store the run time data from RTC SCM directly? or we can move data from server database to that repository?

Kindly provide me solution for that.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Dean Roberts (26) | answered Jun 19 '19, 8:39 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hello Kirti,

I have a few concerns about the two questions you have asked and want to make sure I understand your intended use case correctly.

The external content store feature is not intended to move all RTC SCM data out of a database and into an external content store.  Instead, it is intended to support storing very large files outside of the database.  RTC SCM is optimized to use the database to efficiently store versioned content.

Additionally, the format of the data stored outside of the database is intentionally opaque.  It is not intended, expected or supported that the external content in the file system would be inspected, interpreted or modified.  The data will be transformed in many ways and you would not be able to map this back to your artifacts under version control.  The format of the data and the way it is stored externally is an implementation detail and may, in fact, change over time.

kirti dalavi selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
kirti dalavi commented Jun 20 '19, 2:42 a.m. | edited Jun 20 '19, 2:44 a.m.

Hi Dean,

Thank you for your reply.
 As you mentioned that "external content store is intended to support storing very large files outside of the database." But after the configuration of External Content Repository for Source Control how we decide which data is need to store in database or which is in that repository.

Dean Roberts commented Jun 24 '19, 8:04 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The documentation page that Geoffrey linked above should have the details you need.  There is also an article about the External Content Store feature that may be helpful: https://jazz.net/library/article/90403

External content storage, once configured is automatic, transparent and size based.  Content larger than the specified size will be stored externally, content smaller will be stored in the database.

One other answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jun 14 '19, 9:56 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Comments
kirti dalavi commented Jun 15 '19, 2:02 a.m. | edited Jun 15 '19, 2:14 a.m.

Hello Geoffrey,

I have followed the same link which you suggested me for more details.
I am done with the configuration of External Content Repository.
Done with the following steps :- 
   1) Versioned Content External Content-Artifact Minimum Size :- (set to 20000000)
   2) Versioned Content External Repository-Type :- (set to FILE)
   3) Versioned Content External Repository-URI :- (I choose the Versioned Content External Repository-Type as FILE so given the URI path os the folder which is created on my local C:// drive.)

After this changes in properties saved the changes and observed that one folder is created includes one binary file inside the mentioned external content repository folder.

But for next I am not able to understand the actual how data of RTC SCM is stored in that configured repository.

kirti dalavi commented Jun 18 '19, 1:27 a.m.

Kindly provide me solution, If anybody has idea on this??

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.