It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Active services and builds are executed using ADMIN account

vinay kumar bondugula (7312564) | asked Jun 11 '19, 8:08 a.m.
retagged Jun 28 '19, 1:24 p.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)

Hi,

We have disabled the "ADMIN" account and using LDAP configuration for managing users. But we still observe ADMIN id in active services (as shown below) and users reported that the build history displaying the ADMIN id for couple of builds.
We are reported that the ADMIN user ID ran the build, failed and disabled the build engine. Can anyone explain why we are facing this issue or this is expected.

6bdcd4d4-2baf-4de4-bb97-5b637e671baa
com.ibm.rational.connector.hudson.HudsonSyncLoopTask com.ibm.rational.hudson.team.internal.service.HudsonSyncLoopScheduledTask.executeTask 00:00:15:250 ADMIN

adbf1c25-bbab-4db5-91f1-ec689db0c668
com.ibm.team.build.BuildResultPrunerTask com.ibm.team.build.internal.service.delete.BuildResultPrunerTask.executeTask 00:00:02:109 ADMIN

Thanks,
Vinay

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jun 12 '19, 2:38 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jun 12 '19, 2:38 a.m.

If you open the server administration advanced properties (of any application), you will see that there are many background tasks that have a user that run them. By default all these users are ADMIN. I have never tried to change that, but it is possible to change the user ID. 

vinay kumar bondugula selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
vinay kumar bondugula commented Jun 12 '19, 2:54 a.m.

Thank you Ralph for the reply.

Here in our environment developers are complaining that the the build engine history showing the ADMIN account in "modified by" even though ADMIN account is disabled. The build engine is deactivated by ADMIN account. The builds are started using Jenkins.

The below is the message in description of the build engine which is deactivated. The question from developer is why the build engine is deactivated by ADMIN when we say account is disabled.

"The system deactivated this build engine after 25 consecutive authentication failures during automatic connection tests.
This setting can be changed in the server Advanced Properties for Hudson/Jenkins Builds."

Thanks,
Vinay 

Sridevi Sangaiah commented Jun 12 '19, 5:34 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Like Ralph mentioned there are a number of background tasks that are by default run with ADMIN user credentials. There a couple of asynchronous tasks involved in the collaboration between RTC and Jenkins builds. If the asynchronous task is not able to communicate with the Jenkins build engine then it would disable the build engine, after trying to connect for a particular number of times. This is the expected behavior.

Since the Jenkins build engine got disabled in the asynchronous task run with ADMIN user credentials, the modified by is recorded as ADMIN accordingly.

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 12 '19, 6:41 a.m.

Sridevi,

which advanced properties is involved in setting the user for the Jenkins related task? I am not sure. I could not find any ADMIN user ID setting in the advanced properties. Is this maybe the user used in the Jenkins Build definition? 

Sridevi Sangaiah commented Jun 12 '19, 7:35 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Ralph,

For jenkins related tasks we don't have an advanced property to configure the user credentials to be used. So it's always going to be the default ADMIN user, unless there is an option to configure the default user id to be used across all the async tasks, which I am not sure if exists.

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 12 '19, 7:54 a.m.

Thanks Sridevi! 

One other answer

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | answered Jun 12 '19, 7:03 p.m.
I actually don't think the ADMIN account is the problem here.

I think the problem is in the RTC Build Engine attempting to log into the Jenkins server - the message is telling you that the build engine is failing to log in.

Check your user/password settings in the Jenkins Build Engine definition in RTC and test the connection to make sure the engine is connecting properly.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jun 13 '19, 1:24 a.m.

Good hint, that is why I asked

Is this maybe the user used in the Jenkins Build definition?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.