It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What causes Report Builder to return null when DNG attribute is not null

John Loriz (112) | asked May 08 '19, 8:27 p.m.
retagged May 10 '19, 4:41 p.m. by Michael Afshar (7014)

We have a string attribute in DNG called Paragraph Reference which stores the section number that the requirement artifact is located in.  We have this attribute in two modules, child module and parent module.  I've configured Report Builder to generate a trace from the child requirement artifact to the parent requirement artifact.  I've set the report up to display the paragraph reference for the child requirement artifact, and the parent requirement artifact.  The Paragraph Reference for the parent requirement artifact is returned properly,  but the Paragraph Reference for the child requirement artifact returns null despite the attribute being populated in DNG. 

Comments
Carol Watson commented May 16 '19, 12:58 p.m.

Hi John,

May I ask how you're populating an Attribute with the Section Number?  We would like to use Section Number to limit the view to a specific section for export/report purposes, but Section is not a filterable item.  We did this in DOORS 9 using the filter "current object + show descendants" but we've yet to find a way to replicate that feature in DNG.

Thanks,
Carol 

John Loriz commented May 16 '19, 1:17 p.m.

Hello, Carol.

I had one of my engineers create a javascript to allow the user to decide whether they wanted to have the Paragraph Reference attribute contain the heading number only, the heading text only, or the heading number and text.  The script then processes the artifacts within the module collection to determine which section heading the requirements are contained in and then populates the attribute with that information.  I'm not familiar with javascript, so I can't give you any further details.  Sorry.

One answer

permanent link
Kenji Sarai (96029) | answered May 10 '19, 4:12 a.m.

Hi John,

It is difficult to answer correctly, but I suspect there is a mixup between base artifact and module artifact. Base artifact and module artifact has same id but can have different attribute value, which often cause confusion.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_6.0.6/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/c_base_artifact.html

Can you check if you can see the correct attribute in DNG UI by tracing the link?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.