It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Test case icon - not changing from red - symbol

Norman Dignard (356688168) | asked May 02 '19, 8:40 a.m.

Using CLM 606.  We have a RTC story linked to a test case using related test case link type.  The link in the story shows a failed indicator (red - symbol).

Looking at the linked test case it has a few test execution results. the first one having failed, subsequent ones all show as past.

In the Test case, its icon is a green E type of symbol with not pass/fail icon.

Why is the story showing a different icon  as is this expected behavior?  

2 answers

permanent link
Krupa Gunhalkar (4512) | answered May 03 '19, 12:31 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Norman,

In RTC, the link type "Tested By Test Case" will always shows the same icon as its shown for TCER( Test Case Execution Record" being passed /failed. It will show the icon of latest result which we call as "Test Case Result" ( TCR). On hovering the link, you will be able to see all previous runs with appropriate results and their icons.

On the Test case page, probably you would be looking at the "TCER" section. This will have a E type icon with green arrow, indicating that this TCER icon. The one on the RTC story is the "TCR" icon indicating its latest result.

Hope this helps,
Krupa Gunhalkar

Comments
Norman Dignard commented May 03 '19, 9:23 a.m.

Thanks for the reply however this is not what we are seeing.

On the Story, the TC link was added Aug 17, 2018 at 12:49
For the test case:
- the first execution was done on Jul 10, 2018 which failed.
- the second run was done on Aug 17, 2018 at 10:37 which passed,
- there are a few additional runs post this date, all of which passed.

Looking at the TC TCER section,  all TCERs, show the same icon regards lof pass/fail status.  Only the Last Result column shows the red - icon. 

Assuming that the behavior should be as you describe,  one would assume that the story should reflect the test case run from no earlier then Aug 17  which passed. Is this not the case? 

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered May 06 '19, 2:11 a.m.
edited May 08 '19, 9:25 p.m.
Hi, Norman

Regarding this point
===
In RTC, the link type "Tested By Test Case" will always shows the same icon as its shown for TCER( Test Case Execution Record" being passed /failed. It will show the icon of latest result which we call as "Test Case Result" ( TCR). On hovering the link, you will be able to see all previous runs with appropriate results and their icons.
===
Krupa is correct that TCER latest result matters, however, if this is the only condition applies here, your comment would be correct that the latest test case result is Passed and then icon should be Passed(green) instead of Failed(red).

I suspect that this test case must have at least two TCERs(one TestCase can have multiple TCERs). You can check the Test Case Results for the specific TestCase and see which TCER the result is from, in particular, pay attention to the Failed Result and Passed. If the Failed result is the latest result for one TCER and Passed result is the latest one for another TCER for the same TestCase, then the severity order plays a role here. That is, Failed (one TCER's latest result) has higher severity order than Passed(another TCER's latest result), then the icon will show higher severity result only, in this case Failed result(red icon) even though the Passed result was run later than the Failed result.

Comments
Norman Dignard commented May 08 '19, 10:49 a.m.
Thanks for your input.

The test case has 4 TCERs.   As I had mentioned

- first exec Jul 10 2018 - failed
- 2rd run Aug 17 2018 at 10:37 - passed
- 2 additional runs after this, all passed

TestCase -WorkItem link added Aug 17 2018 at 12:49, after 2rd run.  The "priority" order does not make sense to me. 

Don Yang commented May 08 '19, 9:40 p.m. | edited May 08 '19, 9:41 p.m.
Sorry, it should be 'Severity' instead of 'Priority' and I corrected it in my above comments.
The question here to ask is:
  • first exec Jul 10 2018 - failed : Which TCER used to run for first execution?
    • 2rd run Aug 17 2018 at 10:37 - passe:  Which TCER used to run for first execution?
  • 2 additional runs after this, all passed: Which TCER used to run for first execution?

I guess at least the "first exec Jul 10 2018 - failed" used different TCER as subsequent executions. In that situation, you have multiple test case results based on different TCERs. No matter when you add TestCase -WorkItem link, it will show the status icon for the Test Case result. As you have multiple test case results here on different TCERs, for example, you have 3 TCERs for this test case used to execute in 4 executions, 
    first exec Jul 10 2018 - failed - TCER1
    2rd run Aug 17 2018 at 10:37 - passed - TCER2
    2 additional runs after this, all passed - TCER3

So the latest test case result status for TCER1, TCER2 and TCER3 would be: Failed, Passed, Passed. So how the test case status icon represents the test case result as there are 3 different TCERs(3 different environments)? RQM uses severity to determine which one to represent the status icon, here TCER1 latest result has higher severity (Failed) than another two TCER2 and TCER3(both Passed), hence Failed(red) from TCER1 result will represent the status for this TestCase and it applies to  TestCase -WorkItem link as well.
    I hope this helps.

Don Yang commented May 08 '19, 9:54 p.m.

"The test case has 4 TCERs.   As I had mentioned", I want to stress that TCER is Test Case Execution Record, not Test Case Result(you executed 4 times, so you have 4 results but these 4 results may be from the same TCER or different TCERs), so the point here is to determine each test case execution for that test cases using what TCER(you can open each test case result and it will show which TCER is used) and then find out the latest test case result for each TCER used, then use severity to compare each TCER's latest test case result and determine the status icon. If your 4 executions use only one TCER(same TCER), its latest result is Passed as you mentioned, status icon surely should be Passed. But you see the different icon reflecting the first Failed execution result(red), for which my explanation is the most likely scenario.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.