It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

NFS seems to be preventing the scm load command from completing on a linux system.

Tammy Parker (112) | asked Apr 09 '19, 2:20 p.m.
edited Apr 09 '19, 7:08 p.m.

NFS seems to be preventing the scm load command from completing on a linux system.
This behavior occurs whether I use either rtc 4.0.2 or rtc 5.0.1 scmtools.
Prior to running the load, I login to the RTC repo, I create the new directory in the NFS directory, cd to that directory,
and issue:
scm load wkspace_name dir1/dir2/dir3/filename -r repo_name --force --dir /mnt/RTC_dir/test

The command never completes, only resulting in the creation of a .metadata directory that contains a .lock file.

The exports file on the NFS server uses these options:
/data/RTC_dir hostname(rw,secure,root_squash,no_subtree_check)

The fstab file on the NFS client
NFS-server:/data/RTC_dir /mnt/RTC_dir nfs rw,vers=3,tcp,suid,hard,intr,timeo=600,bg 0 0

if I run the same command from the /tmp local file system, it works:

user@hostname /tmp$scm load wkspace_name dir1/dir2/dir3/filename -r repo_name --force --dir /tmp
Successfully loaded items into the sandbox.

Is there some additional configuration needed somewhere that I am missing?

Comments
Tammy Parker commented Apr 11 '19, 3:01 p.m.
NFS locking is enabled and apparently working --
Via the lsof command, lsof -V /mnt/kcroyals/RTC_src/cm85/6*dv/.metadata/.lock

COMMAND   PID    USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF       NODE NAME
scm     31461 dlbuild  132u   REG   0,20        0 5177147039 /mnt/kcroyals/RTC_src/cm85/6_850008dv/.metadata/.lock

This setup was working for years in one physical location and we moved the VMs ( build machines, RTC server and NFS server to a new location outside of IBM ) and then ran into this issue...  Very strange

One answer

permanent link
Shashikant Padur (4.2k27) | answered Apr 09 '19, 11:30 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Take a look at the following article for possible solutions: https://jazz.net/library/article/533

Comments
Tammy Parker commented Apr 11 '19, 1:22 p.m. | edited Apr 11 '19, 1:42 p.m.

HI -- I have looked at that article and have confirmed that locking is apparently working but nothing is getting loaded for some reason... 

Via the lsof command, lsof -V /mnt/kcroyals/RTC_src/cm85/6*dv/.metadata/.lock

COMMAND   PID    USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF       NODE NAME
scm     31461 dlbuild  132u   REG   0,20        0 5177147039 /mnt/kcroyals/RTC_src/cm85/6_850008dv/.metadata/.lock

This setup was working for years in one physical location and we moved the VMs ( build machines, RTC server and NFS server to a new location outside of IBM ) and then ran into this issue...  Very strange

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.