It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Information on creating a RTC Widget to query information on an oracle database sitting next to it

Richard Good (872158) | asked Apr 03 '19, 11:43 a.m.
edited Apr 03 '19, 11:45 a.m.

Hello

I want to know if querying another (non RTC) database using SQL and properties embedded in an RTC project area is possible using a widget and if so how to go about it. I can do it easily using sqlplus on my desktop. Files returned by this imagined application would be visible on the server as would the oracle database, but not on the client.

Information would be returned into a html table in the widget, the user would have some control over the SQL query specifics by tweaking some input variables.

I see lots of information on DNG Widgets and open social ones but not  RTC

Note I am using a https server so I don't think I can use open social stuff

I don't even see how to do this in the Extensions workshop

Anyone have any pointers? I'm ideally after creating several widgets to return a range of information from another database.

I'm exploring hooking history/data out of a previously used change control system rather than migrating it and maintaining it.

Regards
Richard

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Apr 03 '19, 12:33 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Apr 03 '19, 12:35 p.m.

Comments
Richard Good commented Apr 04 '19, 2:37 a.m. | edited Apr 04 '19, 2:50 a.m.

Hi Ralph

Thanks very much, felt like I did  a good search, but failed to find the first two sites, which provide an excellent start. 

I did find the third link from another post, but it fails to load anything about creating dashboards, I'll try and find some way to complain about that on the website. Not had much luck in the past getting IBM to fix broken websites, but worth a try. 
Raised this issue on the broken developerworks website, if anyone else is interested

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 04 '19, 2:52 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Richard,

the team wiki is an internal site that you are allowed to look at. Please see the disclaimer in the top area. The data is outdated in several sections. For finding links, I try to maintain my own list here: https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/interesting-links/

I would suggest to look at the examples from the DACH_LI Jazz Community. You might be able to get in contact to the authors as well. 

Richard Good commented Apr 04 '19, 5:57 a.m.

Hi Ralph

Yes, the examples help, thanks. Nothing that close to what I have in mind, but pretty sure it is possible, just about how easy really! 

Richard Good commented Apr 04 '19, 6:11 a.m.
This example is not a million miles away from what I want

https://github.com/jazz-community/rtc-git-connector-service 

Richard Good commented Apr 09 '19, 10:42 a.m.

I'm struggling with this inquiry. It originally seemed that it was possible to use the data warehouse to do what I want by importing Dimensions data into it (fresh new tables) and using the report builder and widgets based upon it. The Tip Data imported into RTC has identifier fields which could be used to join old Dimensions Stuff with New RTC, but not to link explicitely.

Would upload an image but it seems my reputation points are insufficient ;-(
Shame it would help explain this more easily. 

The picture showed Report Builder with a New Dimensions Category with it's artifacts underneath, similar to RTC. This would be a great way of presenting historic data and letting the user navigate it, but without editing it.

Richard Good commented Apr 09 '19, 10:43 a.m. | edited Apr 09 '19, 10:47 a.m.
Ran out of comment characters ;-(

I believe the rtc-git-connector manages to create new Data warehouse tables and categories, but don't think it is supported or cannot find the right information somehow and what I propose here would be a degree of magnitude more complicated and maybe impossible. Anyone know about it, particularly interested in replies by anyone in Siemans who has worked on this RTC-GIT-Connector

BTW Dimensions cannot be used to navigate history because my client wishes to stop using it

Best Regards
Richard

Guido Schneider commented Apr 11 '19, 5:07 p.m.

If you only want to display data of a foreign database in a RTC widget, I would not go the route through Datawarehouse.

I would do following:
- create a RTC server service, which act's as Gateway between the RTC Widget (JavaScript, doing all the UI stuff) and the Database..
So the service provides a REST endpoint for the Widget and calls the foreign database/application to get the data either by an API or by JDBC.

What we do in the Git Connector Service in adition to Widget and Interactive UI i RTC:
- The Service acts as a REST endpoint for a DCC job, so DCC can get the data from the remote system through RTC by doing REST calls to the RTC service, the service gets the data from the remote system and delivers them back to DCC, which writes it into own DWH tables.
- By having a custom TTL file for Report Builder , you will be able to report with RB with this data.
- And with the definition of custom views in the DB a user is able to write reports with the foreign data merged with CLM date.

Richard Good commented Apr 15 '19, 10:38 a.m.
Hi Guido,

Thanks very much for the advice. There are a lot of concepts and moving parts to get to grips with here. I am trying hard to provide an alternative to migrating decades of data that is not massively expensive in time to my customer. Something like what you propose solves part of the problem, this and an email by your colleague (I presume) Pascal Hurlimann have helped me get to grips with the issues very well, but the perceived complexity has put off my colleagues as I cannot easily put a figure on how long it would take to create a Dimensions Interface/ connector and even that solves only part of the problem, we also need to be able to recreate parts of Dimensions in RTC to get the files/ baselines. Thanks for your time

showing 5 of 8 show 3 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.