It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC SCM to GIT Migration

Kiran A (31249) | asked Mar 09 '19, 1:35 a.m.

Hi Team, 

Is it possible to migrate Source Code from RTC SCM to GIT migration? Is there any tool available to do this migration?

Regards,
Kiran

4 answers

permanent link
Andy Chen (812) | answered Mar 10 '19, 10:24 p.m.

Hi Kiran,

There's no official tool to do SCM to GIT migration, but there is a 3rd party git repo that provides scripts for it:

Comments
Kiran A commented Mar 11 '19, 1:27 a.m.

Hi Andy, 

Thank you for the reply.

I gone through the link, and will it do the full migration along with history?

Andy Chen commented Mar 11 '19, 1:40 a.m.

From the "How It Works" section in the github page, the script will do a full migration of the targeted RTC repositories.

For the history, it will create an empty git repository and load the oldest baseline from RTC. Afterwards it will go through each baseline and commit differences to git, thus replicating the history of the RTC workspace.

Alternatively, the wiki provides a way of using the full component history from RTC as well

https://github.com/rtcTo/rtc2git/wiki/Getting-your-History-Files

Kiran A commented Mar 13 '19, 1:58 a.m.

Andy, 

Have you done this migration? 
Before migration what are all things I have to consider like backup procedure, things to handle for the migration activity and any configuration/modification in the rtc2gitcli?

Andy Chen commented Mar 13 '19, 2:13 a.m.
Hi,

Unfortunately I have not done this migration with the latest versions of RTC but since the RTC SCM output, there shouldn't be much differences.

There isn't a need to do specific backup procedures on the RTC end as the tool does not affect RTC SCM, it only collects baseline data from it to create the Git repo.

For configuration, their wiki has a section for it:

For more in depth details on this tool, you may want to consult the actual developers on their slack.

Kiran A commented Mar 13 '19, 3:17 a.m.

Andy, 

I am using 5x version of CLM and migration activity is from 5x RTC SCM to GIT. 

permanent link
Georg Kellner (840378109) | answered Mar 14 '19, 9:46 a.m.
Hi Kiran,

regarding general considerations:
Check the space which is used by the RTC SCM. There are metrics reports in RTC, which show the size of the SCM data.
As git is a distributed VCS it'll copy the complete repository to each client including the complete history.
If your RTC SCM is huge, you should have a strategy to split the git repos while you are migrating.
One possibility is to have one git repo per RTC SCM component.
If those are to big at the beginning,  you should think about having one history repo and one current repo per component.
The history repo contains everything, while the current repo contains only the relevant baselines, which are still in use, has to be fixed in the case of bugs and where the current development takes place.

Greetings Georg.

permanent link
Kiran A (31249) | answered Apr 17 '19, 1:42 a.m.

Hi, 

RTC to GIT migration, how about baselines work? How the baseline visible from rtc to git after migration?

permanent link
m i (111) | answered Mar 24 '22, 8:16 a.m.
Hi
Working on to migrate our RTC source repository to GIT, but I am missing SCM Command Line Interface.
that is required  to use above mentioned tool. Is it something that I have to download?.

Comments
Stefan Oblinger commented Mar 24 '22, 8:38 a.m.

You can download the package from https://jazz.net/downloads/workflow-management/.

Download the "SCM Tools" for your Jazz version.

m i commented Mar 24 '22, 9:50 a.m.
Hi Stefan
Sorry for my lack of knowledge?, but looking into the package you have added link to, I can not finde any files related to SCM Command Line Interface.

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 24 '22, 10:04 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I have answered on your own question. Please do not spam other users questions. 

m i commented Mar 24 '22, 10:16 a.m.

Sorry it was not spam but a very relevant question.

David Honey commented Mar 24 '22, 10:57 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The forum etiquette is to ask your question as a new question.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.