It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

"Blocking" execution status

John Matthews (2263932) | asked Oct 27 '09, 8:45 a.m.
Environment: RQM 2.0 connected to RTC 2.0

Can some one please clarify the definition for "Blocking"..

I think it means that "something" is blocking the execution of the Test Case (not that the Test Case is blocking something else)..

Further; it seems that "Blocking" in RQM/RTC has been specifically implemented to allow build notification to RQM to trigger the automatic unblocking of blocked TCs / TERs... it seems then, that "Blocking" actually means, & is equivalent to, "Failed".. if this is the case, then in an environment where RQM 2.0 connected to RTC 2.0, it would seem that all test executions should be set to blocked on failure, .. if one want to avail of the automatic unblocking functionality?

2 answers

permanent link
John Nason (2.4k1012) | answered Nov 11 '09, 6:54 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi John,
A Test Case can be blocked by a defect. For instance, let's say that I have Test Case to "View Order Report". Before I can view the order report, I need to log in. But, there is a defect that prevents logging in to my app. My "View Order Report" test case is now blocked by this defect.

If you're fully integrated with RTC, including builds, then when the log-in defect gets resolved and delivered in a build, RQM can "notice" that event and automatically unblock your Test Case now that you should be able to log in.

Hope that helps.
John

I think it means that "something" is blocking the execution of the Test Case (not that the Test Case is blocking something else)..

Further; it seems that "Blocking" in RQM/RTC has been specifically implemented to allow build notification to RQM to trigger the automatic unblocking of blocked TCs / TERs... it seems then, that "Blocking" actually means, & is equivalent to, "Failed".. if this is the case, then in an environment where RQM 2.0 connected to RTC 2.0, it would seem that all test executions should be set to blocked on failure, .. if one want to avail of the automatic unblocking functionality?

permanent link
John Matthews (2263932) | answered Nov 12 '09, 6:43 a.m.
thx John

I do understand "how" it works; how ever the crux of my question is...

"Blocking" in RQM/RTC has been specifically implemented to allow build notification to RQM to trigger the automatic unblocking of blocked TCs / TERs... it seems then, that "Blocking" actually means, & is equivalent to, "Failed".. if this is the case, then in an environment where RQM 2.0 connected to RTC 2.0, it would seem that all test executions should be set to blocked on failure, .. if one wants to avail of the automatic unblocking functionality?

Hi John,
A Test Case can be blocked by a defect. For instance, let's say that I have Test Case to "View Order Report". Before I can view the order report, I need to log in. But, there is a defect that prevents logging in to my app. My "View Order Report" test case is now blocked by this defect.

If you're fully integrated with RTC, including builds, then when the log-in defect gets resolved and delivered in a build, RQM can "notice" that event and automatically unblock your Test Case now that you should be able to log in.

Hope that helps.
John

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.