It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I delete a file/folder that's in RTC but also ignored by .jazzignore rule set?

Sergei Bobyr (133) | asked Jan 18 '19, 11:31 p.m.

How do I delete a file/folder that's in RTC but also ignored by .jazzignore rule set? Once I load a work space I see some loaded files that were added to the repository before the ignore rules were introduced. I can delete these but they don't show up in the change set thus preventing me from delivering the deletion. How do I do delete these? Do I really need to exclude them first from .jazzignore, delete, deliver, and then include them again into .jazzignore? Any easier way? Thanks.

Accepted answer

permanent link
David Lafreniere (4.8k7) | answered Jan 21 '19, 11:56 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes, you will have to temporarily un-ignore the file. When a file is in the ignore list... it prevents 'any' type of change from being detected (whether it is a modification/add/delete). Once you un-ignore (or exclude) the file from the ignore list, and delete it, you can then deliver the file deletion in a change set, but you don't have to deliver any change to your ignore file (i.e. you can just undo that change after you have delivered the file deletion).

Sergei Bobyr selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Sergei Bobyr commented Jan 22 '19, 1:36 a.m.

But can this be done in bulk for hundreds of files that are now ignored by multiple .jazzignore files? I know Git has a couple of commands to do just that, it's a common use case. 

David Lafreniere commented Jan 22 '19, 10:10 a.m. | edited Jan 22 '19, 2:00 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Instead of trying to figure out what 'part' of the ignore file to modify (since the ignore file can be composed of name pattern matching), just delete the ignore file(s), then bulk delete the actual files you want (followed by a check-in and deliver of the desired file deletions), then just 'undo' the pending local deletion of the ignore file (since you did not check the deletion of the ignore file in your repository workspace, there's no risk that this will impact the rest of the team).

This should be pretty fast to do, especially considering how rare of a use case this is (i.e. I can't find any existing work item requesting this feature, or a similar question on this forum asking about it)

Sergei Bobyr commented Jan 23 '19, 12:14 a.m.

Thanks, I'll do that. I'm a newbie so I wanted to make sure that I'm not missing some hidden better way. 

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jan 21 '19, 7:49 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Comments
Sergei Bobyr commented Jan 22 '19, 1:44 a.m.

Sorry, this is not what's asked. The link is about permanent deletion of content, say for legal reasons, from the repository. I just have stray .vs folders that were checked in long time ago, and then later .jazzignore files were added to ignore those. They still come every time we load workspace. I'd like to get rid of them in buld: I have hundreds of different files/folders spread in the repository, with many .jazzingore files. I thought it's a common enough use case to have a generic solution that can be applied for the whole repository: delete all files that are currently excluded by the .jazzignore files. Git provides a couple of commands that do just that.

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 22 '19, 3:26 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Well, the data is in there and the only way to get it out of there is explained. David has already answered on the other aspects. 

Sergei Bobyr commented Jan 23 '19, 12:16 a.m.

Thank you for your help. I'll keep in mind this way of deletion in case I need it. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.