It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

link question for DNG and RQM with global configuration enabled

jane zhou (106764) | asked Jan 17 '19, 3:08 p.m.
edited Jan 18 '19, 11:29 a.m.

Hi Someone who may concern,

We encountered some issues when we try to link test case in RQM with requirement in DNG.
     We need to work on product for 2 model years in parallel way.

Say, we have 2 DNG streams
1 DNG stream for product of 2019 
2 DNG stream for product of 2020 (branch off from 2019 at a time point in 2019)

And we have 2 RQM streams
 1 RQM stream for product of 2019
 2 RQM stream for product of 2020(branch off from 2019)

We have 2 GC stream
1 GC for 2019, includes 
   [1] DNG stream for 2019
   [2] RQM stream for 2019
2 GC for 2020, includes
   [1] DNG stream for 2020
   [2] RQM stream for 2020

And our developer now create link from test cases in 1[2] to requirement in 1[1] manually
     Say, they created 20000 links 

They are wondering whether they need to create  those 20000 links again on 2[2] to 2[1] manually? Is it possible that RQM can support to create links automatically? If so, how to do it?

If not, it will make linking work very tedious. Suppose if we need to work on more products lines in the same time, then linking effort will be multiplied.

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Jane Zhou

Comments
Paul Slauenwhite commented Jan 17 '19, 6:58 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Jane,

Shouldn't the GC for 2019 contain RQM stream for 2019 and GC for 2020 contain DNG stream for 2020?

jane zhou commented Jan 18 '19, 11:31 a.m.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your question!
        You are right, it is a typo there. Sorry for confusing. I have corrected it.

Best Regards,
Jane Zhou

Accepted answer

permanent link
Kathryn Fryer (503147) | answered Jan 21 '19, 9:54 a.m.
Hi Jane,
The answer partly depends on when you create the links vs when you branch your stream.

When you create the link to the DNG artifact, RQM stores that link as metadata associated to that version of the test artifact. The link itself is to the "concept URI" of the DNG artifact, not a specific version. When the system displays/resolves the link, it checks the current global configuration context to pick the correct version.
DNG doesn't store any information about that link to RQM; DNG queries the link index service at runtime for incoming links based on the current GC context.

So what Miles is suggesting is that you could use your same RQM 2019 stream in both the 2019 and 2020 GCs, so you are doing as much "common" development in that stream as possible (following the best practice of only branching when you absolutely need to). When you are in the 2019 GC, the RQM link resolves in that context (system checks 2019 GC, and resolves to the DNG artifact in the 2019 DNG stream); when you are in the 2020 GC context, the link resolves to the artifact in the 2020 stream.

That does assume that the DNG artifact exists in both streams (else link will be broken/dangling). It doesn't matter if you use modules or not, as long as that also is consistent across DNG streams.

Once you have created the links in RQM, if you then branch that RQM stream, the links are included in your branched stream as well. So if you branched that 2019 RQM stream to a 2020 stream, and put that new stream in your 2020 GC, those links would resolve in the context of that 2020 GC (to the DNG artifacts in the 2020 stream).

If you branched the stream before you created the RQM links, then the RQM artifacts in the 2020 stream won't have the link metadata.

You can merge RQM streams, as Miles mentions. So if your RQM 2019 and RQM 2020 streams have already diverged in content, you could merge the 2019 requirement links into the 2020 stream. You'd need to be careful to only merge those link changes though. Your other option would be to do the opposite: branch the 2019 stream again (with the links) to make a new 2020 stream, and then merge the changes from the original 2020 stream into 2019 (that might be easier depending on the scope of change).

Hope that helps.

jane zhou selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
jane zhou commented Jan 30 '19, 3:48 p.m.

Hi Kathryn,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation!
       Our concern is if there is case that we have 2 DNG streams, one is branch off from the other, and after branching off, the artifact number will increase separately. say requirement A in stream 2018 is 1000, but the same requirement in stream 2019 is 1345. i.e. id is different in both streams. Then we can not merge directly for this case.
Otherwise, we may link test case to wrong requirement.

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Jane Zhou

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 31 '19, 3:29 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The requirement number of the SAME requirement will always be the same. 

You have to make sure to add a new requirement only into one stream and deliver it into other streams. If you create new requirements with the same content multiple times they will not be the same requirement and you can not merge them - because the are not different versions of the same requirement.

2 other answers

permanent link
manojkumar singh (11) | answered May 21 '20, 11:55 a.m.
I am having New new project area in both DNG and RQM with Global configuration enabled. Now i want to create around 1000 Links from Test cases to DNG requirement. Im trying to us the Excel importer but its not creating the links dynamically when DNG shared path is given as input in 1 of the column of the excel.

The same i tried with another project without Global configuration enabled, the above method works fine.

Could somebody help me regarding this. I have immediate need to solve this problem as i have 3 team working waiting for this solution to work so that they could save some time during Requirement to test case link in GC enabled projects.

Best Regards,
Manoj Kumar Singh

Comments
Mehul Patel commented May 22 '20, 1:21 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR

Manojkumar,

ETM Word/Excel Importer supports linking with requirements from configuration enabled RM project too. How are you creating links dynamically? What errors are you getting? What version of ETM Word/Excel Importer you are using? 

If you are using 'LinkExisting' syntax and create URL dynamically using the values of Excel Cells, do not specify configuration details as query parameter with URL but select those configuration from UI using Find URI option, it will work.

Regards,
Mehul

manojkumar singh commented Jun 01 '20, 12:03 a.m.
Hello Mehul,
I am using "LinkExisting" instruction and not getting any error during the run. You are suggesting to use & to merge the cells together, that is fine but What should be provided in those cells as I just copied the shared link from the requirement and given in the cell. What else should be given? Im selecting the configuration from the UI given.
Im using the instruction :
      " testcase.requirement=LinkExisting(I)"
      "I" cell = the shared link for the artifact.

It will be great if you could share some example.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Manoj Kumar Singh

manojkumar singh commented Jun 01 '20, 12:04 a.m.
Hello Mehul,
I am using "LinkExisting" instruction and not getting any error during the run. You are suggesting to use & to merge the cells together, that is fine but What should be provided in those cells as I just copied the shared link from the requirement and given in the cell. What else should be given? Im selecting the configuration from the UI given.
Im using the instruction :
      " testcase.requirement=LinkExisting(I)"
      "I" cell = the shared link for the artifact.

It will be great if you could share some example.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Manoj Kumar Singh

Mehul Patel commented Jun 01 '20, 12:38 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR

Manojkumar,

I guess you are doing what needs to be done, unless otherwise your requirement URL is incorrect, it should work. Are you getting any link for those test artifacts or not? Check %appdata%\Mso2Rqm\Mso2Rqm_Debug.log for detailed log.

Please refer 'TestPlan with TestCases 001 linked to requirement 002' from sample folder, check the column 'M', it specifies the requirement link (without any reference to the configuration URI). You can choose the configuration URI from the 'Export to ETM' UI by selecting 'Find' button refer Wiki : selecting configuration stream.

Regards,
Mehul

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 02 '20, 3:39 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Please create a new question next time and don't create your question as an answer to an existing question. Thanks.

permanent link
Miles Thompson (1824) | answered Jan 18 '19, 5:47 p.m.

This sounds like something my company (GM) ran into with model years of vehicles. Our solution was to migrate a previous year stream for RQM into the current year's stream for RQM.

In order to do this, you need to make some assumptions:
- the DNG IDs must be the same from one year to the next for the same requirements (text can change as long as the intent is still covered by the test)
- the RQM test plans are linked to DNG modules (ensures you get the right version of the requirements)

Then you develop RQM artifacts in 2019, and when you've got enough work done to carry over to the 2020 stream, either create a new 2020 stream feom the 2019 or merge the GC configurations and handle any collisions. 

Hooe this helps!

Comments
jane zhou commented Jan 29 '19, 11:41 a.m.
Hi Miles,

Thank you very much for your great help!

Best Regards,
Jane Zhou  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.