It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Plan Items Estimates

Matt Muller (59813274) | asked Jan 10 '19, 7:51 a.m.
edited Jan 11 '19, 2:41 a.m.

Good Afternoon,

I've had a request from my client to look into the Formal Project Management template and how to add Estimates against "plan items" (Business Need in FPM) Estimate in Hours.  In the OOTB version Plan items use the Work Process which is calculated from the Child Execution items "Estimate/Correction & Time spent"..

My Client would like to have an "Estimate" Hours against the Plan Item which integrates with the "Execution" estimates / calculations. 

You can add one child item Task to populate the Estimate however then when the actual Tasks are added this needs to be amended?  Initial Estimates are Not know.

Any ideas?   I guess we could add a new attribute for "Business Need - Original Estimate" but this is independent of the Child items etc.

Thanks

Matt

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jan 11 '19, 2:08 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

What is an FPM Template? 

Matt Muller commented Jan 11 '19, 2:41 a.m.

Sorry Formal Project Management - The Traditional Planning one. Non agile

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jan 11 '19, 7:27 a.m.

I have not tried this, but the parent child roll up in the agile templates is done for the attribute that is set as "complexity" attribute. The top top level plan item types does not have this (e.g. Epic). The lower level plan item types have that and it is used to estimate the complexity. The Plan display rolls it up over parent child in the same project area.

The complexity attribute can be any (also custom) attribute with certain types that can be calculated. The Story points is done using an enumeration with numbers that can be added. An attribute of type integer or long should work, maybe decimal. I would suggest to create a test system to play around with it. a number could be hours, days, weeks,....

Note, this will only be display in the load/progress bar. It will not show as bar in the roadmap view etc.

Comments
Matt Muller commented Jan 14 '19, 8:48 a.m.

Ralph,

Thank you for the suggestion:

I've started to look into this and added an attribute -  "business Need Estimate" Type = Duration and set this as the Complexity. When it does the calculation for Work Progress:

Business Need Estimate = 1 Hour

Work Progress = 3600000Business Need Estimate  (seems to do the calc based on Milliseconds ?)

How do I update the "complexity to run based on hours) 

Matt

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 14 '19, 8:58 a.m. | edited Jan 14 '19, 9:01 a.m.

I don't think you can. My suggestion was integer for a reason. If you use that, you can input anything you want. So you can say 1 is an hour. 

If you use a duration then the duration values are used. They are like millisecond based. Hence the huge numbers.

Use an integer complexity and tell people to put hours in.

It is possible to support entering strings like 3w5d2h with a calculated value, if absolutely necessary. - FIX: this will not work on an integer attribute, but only on a string attribute.

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 14 '19, 9:00 a.m.

My last statement will only work on String attribute types. So maybe not try that.

Did I mention you should play around with this using a test system and not your production system? 

Matt Muller commented Jan 14 '19, 10:14 a.m.

Ralph missed that bit;  I found an article in the RTC help which talked about adding in "Person Hours" and using Duration - so I thought from that instruction it would work.

I've changed my development project and that does what I expected now..

Do you know if the Work Progress (Complexify & Hrs progress) are available in JRS?

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 14 '19, 11:05 a.m. | edited Jan 14 '19, 12:59 p.m.

It is a simple type custom attribute and I would assume the value being available in JRS.

I am not sure about progress. As far as I know only time spent and time remaining are available for execution work items. On the plan item level only the complexity/estimated hours will be available. If you want access to time spent and time remaining or aggregate over children, you would ave to do that in the report. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.