It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Compare with Local Version: Doesnt work if we have same file loaded in Multiple Sandboxes

vinitha dsouza (14719119) | asked Jan 04 '19, 3:50 a.m.
Hello Team,

We have 2 Streams which is basically kind of Variant concept.

so mostly developers have 2 workspace for above said 2 streams which inturn have same files but Changeset may differ.

now user right click on file -> Team -> History-> Chnagesets

right click on changeset and select compare with Local version => This works fine.

Now if i do "Show all in the repository" and try to do right click on changeset and select compare with Local version => This DOESNT work.

message is shown saying:
Cannot compare because file is loaded multiple location.

is this defined behaviour? what is different when we do "show all in the repository"

Thanks,

Comments
vinitha dsouza commented Jan 11 '19, 4:05 a.m.

Can some one reply to this?

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 11 '19, 6:58 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I an pretty sure I have shared this with you before:  How should I ask a question in the Forum if I want to receive useful answers?

In general if you have loaded the same file in multiple sandboxes on the same client, I think any operation that requires to detect one version of a file will fail if it does not have a context where the local sandbox is unambiguous. 

In older versions of the Eclipse client, I think only one sandbox was used and the tool did not tell. Maybe the error was built in to make clear the operation is ambiguous. This way there is no result and the user needs to fix this before trying again.

vinitha dsouza commented Jan 11 '19, 7:18 a.m.
yes, But in Variants Usecase. You require 2 Sandbox where different contents for same file exists.

Do you have any workaround for this?

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 11 '19, 8:00 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The question lacks any basic information that would even allow to reproduce it and it seems to be impossible to get reasonable data. 

I would suggest to get consulting around SCM. 

I answered as a comment so this is unanswered, maybe someone with more knowledge sees this and can help. I can't. 

Arun K Sriramaiah commented Jan 11 '19, 8:51 a.m. | edited Jan 11 '19, 9:11 a.m.
Hi Vinitha,

If it's already loaded, normally we don't recommnand. Result in out of sync issue.

I don't see the same issue in my test server 606.

Can you paste the screenshot.

Regards,
Arun.

Arun K Sriramaiah commented Jan 11 '19, 9:11 a.m. | edited Jan 11 '19, 9:15 a.m.

Any reason for modifying the same file from two locations?

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Accepted answer

permanent link
David Lafreniere (4.8k7) | answered Jan 11 '19, 2:38 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The History view always has a 'context', which is either a workspace/stream, or a repo context. When you have the same file loaded from multiple repository workspaces, and when you are in the History view in the "Show All in Repository" mode (which is a 'repo wide' context), the action doesn't know which file you want to compare against (it's ambiguous); when we are not in the "Show All in Repository" mode, the action is able to uniquely identify the file we want to compare against.

vinitha dsouza selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.