It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

SCM development strategy for Integration stream where only specific feature will be selected for release.

sayo singh (177) | asked Dec 24 '18, 6:33 a.m.

I am using RTC 6.0.6 version for SCM development, Considering the development scenario for three streams, stream A stream B for development and stream c as Integration stream, Once the development start I am creating the repository workspace from Stream c as baseline of code. In repository workspace i will develop the feature1 and will push it to stream A and create the basline named as feture1_baseline. After that i will have another feature2 for development so for that again i will take baseline from preprod and start the develoment of feture 2. After development finish will push the feature 2 code in stream A and create the baseline named as feature2_baseline. Same process will do for Feture 3 development and create feature3_baseline. s Now In my Stream A i have three baselines for feature1, 2 and 3 but with seperate code function. so now on stream c i want pass the devlopment code of feature 1 and feature 2 only as combine. want to exclude the feature 3 development so what will the best approach to for this type of development. Same case will happen for Stream B development where on stream c as Integration I will pick only the specific feature for development. Please suggest the best approches for doing the Integration of such fetures which are on demand.

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jan 02 '19, 8:30 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Your question is ambiguous in several ways, so I'll need to make some assumptions.

- Once the development start I am creating the repository workspace from Stream c as baseline of code.
So the workspace is initially the same as Stream C.  (Note: this isn't what RTC would call a "baseline").

- In repository workspace i will develop the feature1 and will push it to stream A and create the baseline named as feture1_baseline.
By "push", I assume you mean "deliver".   Since you haven't specified the initial state of Stream A, I will assume it is initially the same as Stream C).   I will assume you are creating the baseline in the repository workspace, delivering it to Stream A.

- After that i will have another feature2 for development so for that again i will take baseline from preprod and start the develoment of feture 2.
What is "preprod"?   I will assume that this means you are using the replace operation on the workspace to set it to a baseline created in Stream C before the feature1 work was delivered.

- After development finish will push the feature 2 code in stream A and create the baseline named as feature2_baseline. 
I assume "push" means "deliver".   I assume you create the baseline in the workspace, and deliver it to stream A.

- Same process will do for Feture 3 development and create feature3_baseline. 
Same assumptions as above.

- Now In my Stream A i have three baselines for feature1, 2 and 3 but with seperate code function.
These baselines will be in the history of Stream A.

- so now on stream c i want pass the devlopment code of feature 1 and feature 2 only as combine. want to exclude the feature 3 development so what will the best approach to for this type of development. Same case will happen for Stream B development where on stream c as Integration I will pick only the specific feature for development. Please suggest the best approches for doing the Integration of such fetures which are on demand.
The change sets for your features will not be in StreamC until you deliver them to StreamC.   So if you want to just deliver feature1 and feature2, you would just deliver the feature1 and feature2 baselines to StreamC.

Note:   If the same files are being modified by any of the features, then you cannot just deliver the second baseline to StreamA (or StreamC) ... you would need to set up a workspace to do the appropriate merges, before you could do the deliver.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.