It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to silently install client side iFix in RTC Eclipse Client?

Ulf Arne Bister (1.3k413) | asked Dec 04 '18, 5:08 a.m.
Team,

Situation: Updated CLM 6.0.6 server to iFix004. In the CLM iFix004 zip file there is an Update Site for RTC Eclipse Clients. Installing the (client side) iFix004 into the RTC Eclipse client is possible via the Eclipse UI. However, using the silent install approach with the P2 Director App does not work with this update site. While the command runs through afterwards nothing is installed.

So far the only work around I found is to use the provided .zip Install of RTC Eclipse Client, patch it, rezip. However, I need a workable solution to silently upgrade any number of clients using RTC Eclipse on top of e.g. Eclipse 4.6 (only provided by Installation Manager). I know how to automate RTC Eclipse install with Installation manager, but the update part with the iFix kills this.

Any hints highly welcome.

- Arne

Accepted answer

permanent link
Alexander Pawlik (6128) | answered Dec 04 '18, 7:53 a.m.

Arne,

Open a PMR against RTC and ask for an Installation Manager Image. We received it that way (but it takes some time) ...

Also vote here in order to get them in the future over the normal download page on jazz.net.

Best regards

Alexander

Ulf Arne Bister selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Cliff Gardiner (921033) | answered Dec 04 '18, 9:25 a.m.
Here's the syntax for a silent install of the RTC 5.0.2 client into RSAD 9.6.1, on a Windows box.  The principle will be the same for what you want to do, and note that here The p2 repository zip file must be expanded and the location used as the repository URL:

eclipsec.exe -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director -nosplash -repository file:///E:/Temp/RTC502/RTC-Client-p2Repo-5.0.2 -profile "IBM Software Delivery Platform com.ibm.sdp.eclipse.ide" -tag RTC502Client -installIU com.ibm.team.rtc.client.feature.feature.group

Hope this helps.

Comments
Ulf Arne Bister commented Dec 04 '18, 10:28 a.m.
Cliff,
thanks for sharing the syntax. In fact, I have been successful to install the Rhapsody RTC integration with the selfsame syntax and of course, installing RTC client in another Eclipse is possible with this.
Currently I am stymied by iFix004 Update site for RTC Client not behaving like a nice p2 repo: the above syntax will work, but the end result is: nothing gets installed. If I do it via the Eclipse UI it works fine, albeit having to click through some extra choices. So my problem is not per se with the silent install, but with the silent install of iFix into client.

permanent link
Cliff Gardiner (921033) | answered Dec 04 '18, 10:48 a.m.

Hi Arne, don't know if this will help but we saw a similareffect and this is a snip from an email I sent regarding silent install of the iFix025a for RTC 5.0.2:

OK, I can see what the problem is.  The RTC Client update site is RTC-Client-p2Repo-5.0.2.zip, the update site for the maintenance is inside the iFix file CLM_502_iFix025a.zip.  You need to extract it and the update site file for the iFix is UpdateSiteFor_5.0.2.0-CALM502M-I20180312-0254.zip.  This is because the CLM_502_iFix025a.zip file holds server-side as well as client-side updates, it’s a single file for the entire iFix.

Good luck!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.