It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Stream history

Amit Kumar (19314) | asked Dec 04 '18, 1:04 a.m.

Is there a way to find who was the original creator/owner of any stream in RTC?  RTC Stream owner can be changed, but can we know who originally created any stream?

Is event log is the only option? If yes, can we search entire log with any specific keyword?

Thanks

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Dec 04 '18, 3:16 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Why would that be of any interest? 

Amit Kumar commented Dec 04 '18, 3:19 a.m.

To know who has created the stream? 

Ralph Schoon commented Dec 04 '18, 3:22 a.m.

Why would that be of any interest? 

Amit Kumar commented Dec 04 '18, 3:33 a.m.

For audit.

Ralph Schoon commented Dec 04 '18, 4:01 a.m.

Again, why would that even of any interest. What would it contribute? What is the value? The SCM history is the changes in the components. The stream is only containing a configuration and which of the components content is selected at this time. For audits, the component baselines are relevant, not the stream, for all I know.

For all I know, a stream/repository workspace is a cheap, throw away object. I am not aware of them having a real history. There is an Operational History https://jazz.net/library/article/89462 which I believe is really based on the history of the components. I am not sure there is a history or creator etc. So maybe you consider what information should be audited instead.

One answer

permanent link
Ulf Arne Bister (1.3k413) | answered Dec 04 '18, 9:21 a.m.
Hi,

I second Ralph on this. Streams are interim and transient objects, easily discarded and recreated. In their Operational History you see component additions / removals, baseline creations etc. Those are audit worthy events, given with user and date. In fact, if you wanted to audit a Stream you would first have to create a Snapshot anyway to have something stable to audit. A snapshot shows its creator as immutable property.

- Arne

Comments
Amit Kumar commented Dec 04 '18, 10:14 a.m. | edited Dec 04 '18, 10:15 a.m.

While I understand all the properties of stream and objects and the worthiness of this info, I would like to request to do not limit the reasons for which anyone would like to know this info.

Suppose, stream "A" was created a year ago, (Forget about baselines, components additions/removals etc...). In RTC let's say, I have a role "Team member" which has ONLY permission to create a stream. Now all members of role "Team member" are not aware that Stream "A "was created by them only. In this case, how would anyone know

1. Who had permission to create stream a year ago?
2. Was permission to create stream a year ago was limited to "Team member" role only? ( If it was so, then how would a member outside "Team member" role created that stream as all members assigned to "Team member" role are confirming that they didn't create this stream).

Ralph Schoon commented Dec 04 '18, 10:41 a.m.

You can make up all of these questions. You still don't answer the business value and it is simply impossible to track all the history of everything. I don't think there is any history tracking for streams, because of their nature.

David Lafreniere commented Dec 04 '18, 8:19 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
What was said above is all correct. In technical terms, an IWorkspace is not an IAutiable and thus will not have the history of every state stored in the database (unlike IComponent or IBaseline for example).

As mentioned, there are change events generated when stream properties change, but keep in mind that all change events do get purged from the server over time as well. By default SCM change events expire after 26 weeks (except for change set/baseline delivery events which expire after 2 weeks).

If you are under 26 weeks, you might be able to find the change event which represents the stream creation. To do this you would have to look at the change events associated with the project area that was the owner of the stream at creation time (Note: The owner of the stream could have changed over time...)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.