It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

'Reason for change' along with each edit

Harrison Vince (35116) | asked Nov 28 '18, 5:44 p.m.

I have been looking to implement a way of tracking the 'reason for change' whenever a change is made to an artifact. The artifact history that DNG provides is great, but is there any way to force the user to give a reason with each save of the artifact?

I feel that attaching a work item to every object is inefficient for lots of changes.
The best solution I can come up with at this time is to attach a comment to the artifact whenever a change is made, but this has a couple of problems, I do not need priority or directed to fields, and comments cannot be reported on. Alternatively a string attribute where the user simply concatenates a date and reason to the end of any other (previous change history) text in the field.
Any suggestions?

Comments
Keith Collyer commented Nov 29 '18, 5:35 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

This is one of those "good in principle, won't work in practice" ideas. You will either get a lot of trivial reasons, or people simply won't bother to make a change because they don't want the hassle of entering a reason. Imagine someone sees a small typing error, perhaps "." where it should be ",". Are they going to make the change, then add a reason? I doubt it. If they do, the "reason" will be entered by hitting the space bar a couple of times. Or they just don't make the change.

Harrison Vince commented Nov 29 '18, 4:49 p.m.

Thanks for the answer. This is actually one of the reasons we would like to implement it! Might have to manage it externally.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Adrian Haw (2741041) | answered Nov 30 '18, 9:17 a.m.
You could force the use of change sets.
Harrison Vince selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
sreenath v (78167) | answered Nov 29 '18, 2:19 a.m.
Hi Harrison Vince,

I also think the best way to have a track is that to create a attribute and make that attribute mandatory in each save of artifact. But it's a manual process giving date and reason for change but still i too recommend the same from the in the box of DNG

Comments
Harrison Vince commented Nov 29 '18, 4:48 p.m.

Is this possible? Seems like this is not a DNG feature.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.