It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Migration from SVN to RTC

avinash pathak (111) | asked Oct 21 '18, 5:42 p.m.

I am migrating SVN to RTC, Since SVN is case senstive and RTC is case insenstive, my import fails due to a single file or folder, it has failed for me for special characters also in file names, my issue is that due to a single file or folder whole thing fails, is there a way we can ignore this kind of issues just logging them and not causing the import to fail.

I am not using  SVN dump, i am doing it using SVN repository so the folders get imported successfully to the workspace on server, but i come to know about the issues when i try loading the same component to my sandbox to deliver it to stream, if there is some way through which components can be loaded directly to stream either from workspace  on server or from SVN then also i would be good with it, as i am not expecting any changes to this files/folders 

One answer

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | answered Oct 21 '18, 6:35 p.m.
RTC is actually case sensitive, however it sounds like you're using it on Windows and RTC follows the OS rules, so when you're using it on Windows it will keep case internally but will ignore case on the file system. If you do the same operation on Linux you should find it will complete OK.

However, this would be a fix and not a solution - the problem is that Windows is not case sensitive and so if you do manage to get the SVN repo imported, you'll still have a problem with case sensitivity and special characters in Windows. The only 'proper' solution is to define a naming convention for your files that will co-exist on Windows.

I'd also like to understand why you're not using the SVN dump - I've found the RTC import of the dump file to be a really nice way to work.

Comments
avinash pathak commented Oct 21 '18, 6:41 p.m.

Thanks for your reply,

The size of my svn repo is huge so i was unable to the svn dump, so i was forced to use SVN repo, is there any way i can make setting that RTC uses Linux, rather than using my Platform window as default, also is there a way to move it to stream without loading it to my sandbox which is on windows

Davyd Norris commented Oct 21 '18, 7:34 p.m.
How big is it? I have done imports of SVN dumps that were many Gig in size.

The fundamental problem is that you are using Windows, and you're stuck with the Windows file system, which is officially 'case preserving but case insensitive' - so it will remember how you named things but then ignore the case after that.

It is an operating system level restriction - so the only way to really get around this would be to do the initial work on a Linux OS, and then find the problem files/folders and rename using an OS neutral convention.

One thing you could try is to use the web UI to browse the checked in files and rename or delete the problem ones.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.