It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to track meetings using rational tools?

Preeti Ochani (11115) | asked Sep 27 '18, 3:35 a.m.
edited Sep 27 '18, 9:37 a.m. by Rosa Naranjo (2.9k11623)

I need to track my meetings using rational tools.

I need to create different types of meetings like daily Catch, Weekly status, Client/Management level meetings.

And I would like to inclue these options under each:

a. Ateendees

b. Minutes of meetings

c. Action items/tasks

Can someone suggest best and easiest possible way to track these on daily basis..?

4 answers

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813574) | answered Sep 27 '18, 5:46 a.m.
edited Sep 27 '18, 5:47 a.m.

Preeti,

Good morning,

It depends on what tools you have deployed, the process and method:

I can only give you my view..  We are using RTC with Formal Project Management Template:

This includes "Milestones", "Tasks, "Change Requests ect.

RTC can help your team plan, assign and manage workload.

I have a Milestone work item to Record the Meeting Date, content, Ateendees, Mins. (which you could add attendees as Subscribers to review / comment etc,)

> Then I use "Tasks" -  Child Tasks (work items) to record any Actions etc. with Due dates .

as we don't use Milestones it' works for us;  but you could easily use "TASK - Title = "MEETING : Daily catch up 1" etc.

if you apply "Scrum" template then maybe a different set of WI to support?

Matt

permanent link
Kenny Smith (302513) | answered Sep 28 '18, 10:02 a.m.

If you have DOORs NG, then its fairly easy to create a custom requirement artifact type that matches those needs. Of all the tools, that is really the best place for it, as you often get new requirements or enhancement requests, but they are not strongly structured like we might have for an RTC work item. I've created a custom RTC work item for meetings in the past, but honestly it litters the product with irrelevant items, when a team really just needs work items to keep track of tasks and defects, or manage those at a PM level. If you only have RTC, then I'd recommend you put those into a Sharepoint or Wiki site, and when needed, use a "Related Artifact" link in RTC to create an external URL Link. 

Comments
Preeti Ochani commented Sep 30 '18, 12:29 a.m.

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the suggestion of creating a customized artifact type using RDNG. I have created an artifact type named "Meeting". And I also added new attributes to it like- Date, Agenda, Attendees, Work Items/Tasks alongwith priority for the artifact.

Also, I will create a template for this artifact so that we can use it on daily basis.

Now, I have below doubts based on this-

1. I will have to create new artifact using above Meeting Artifact type(my customized artifact created) on daily basis as and when to record the MoM. Right?

2. Whatever tasks/work requests will be created based on those meetings will have to be linked to that particular MoM/Meeting Artifact. Correct?

3. If I create specific tasks/work requests and link it with our MoM then do we have any optio to disply it on dashboard or any option like creating a chart so that we can track those artifacts based on the completion of work items..? If this is possible it would be very good way of tracking our daily meetings and priority tasks.

I am using RTC , RDNG, RQM (Version 6.0.2)

I need urgent help.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 30 '18, 5:06 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I would just create a custom RTC work item type for a meeting.

What problems do you run into when you just use RTC work items for this?
Note that none of the Rational tools are calendar management tools, so you will almost certainly want to create an instance of each meeting in your calendar management tool ... you can then create a link from that calendar entry to the RTC work item that is tracking the results of that meeting.

permanent link
Preeti Ochani (11115) | answered Sep 30 '18, 10:41 p.m.

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the suggestion of creating a customized artifact type using RDNG. I have created an artifact type named "Meeting". And I also added new attributes to it like- Date, Agenda, Attendees, Work Items/Tasks alongwith priority for the artifact.

Also, I will create a template for this artifact so that we can use it on daily basis.

Now, I have below doubts based on this-

1. I will have to create new artifact using above Meeting Artifact type(my customized artifact created) on daily basis as and when to record the MoM. Right?

2. Whatever tasks/work requests will be created based on those meetings will have to be linked to that particular MoM/Meeting Artifact. Correct?

3. If I create specific tasks/work requests and link it with our MoM then do we have any optio to disply it on dashboard or any option like creating a chart so that we can track those artifacts based on the completion of work items..? If this is possible it would be very good way of tracking our daily meetings and priority tasks.

I am using RTC , RDNG, RQM (Version 6.0.2)

I need urgent help.

Comments
Kenny Smith commented Oct 01 '18, 10:02 a.m.
  1. Correct. 
    1. Likely, yes. If it is a Task, or Story item, you can create a link into RTC as a related requirement. However, if this is something that will need elaboration, or more details, then create the more detailed requirement artifact in DNG. Then you can create the a "Satisfied by" traceability link into an RTC story. Note the "Satisfied By" link maps a requirement to show that it is being worked on and developed. 
  2. I would not directly link a MOM into RTC. Rather use the MOM is a staging area to pull out requirements and explicitly list them in DNG. Not everything in a MOM will be a requirement, and not every MOM will have new requirements.

For traceability, use the "Sastisfied By" linkage type in DNG into RTC. That will by faciliate some of the default reporting. Also, you should use Requirements Collections to map a group of requirement to a specific Sprint/Iteration plan in RTC. That helps to show traceability gaps between the tools, so you know what requirements have not been met for a given plan.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.