It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RPE + DNG: Macros

David Reilly (69240) | asked Sep 24 '18, 2:50 p.m.
edited Sep 25 '18, 11:49 a.m.

Hi all, 

I'm returning from my previous question here: rpe-using-json-on-dng, where I was attempting to combine both JIRA and DNG data in one document. 

At first, I was contentedly informed by another user that DNG template files don't support authentication to JIRA. Fine, I can just execute a macro to parse the JSON.. Well, I've also discovered the troubling reality that executing macros at run-time is impossible because you can't post DSX files from RPE

The good news is that there is an alternative to using a DSX..something documented here at rpeactual, using this external variable "_runMacro" though it's unclear if you can even pass variables and it requires your server to have word installed. 

Am I understanding this correctly? You pretty much can't use macros with DNG Templates? If so, is there an RFE I can throw my lot in with? 

Thanks,
David

One answer

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k16) | answered Sep 25 '18, 10:16 a.m.
edited Sep 25 '18, 11:00 a.m.

It is not that DNG doesn't support JSON. Rather, we cannot run a template (report) from DNG that retrieves data from JIRA as authentication to JIRA doesn't work if document is generated through DNG.

Comments
David Reilly commented Sep 25 '18, 10:45 a.m.

I've edited the sentence for clarity. 

Any pointers on the macro issue?

Subramanya Prasad Pilar commented Sep 25 '18, 11:02 a.m. | edited Sep 25 '18, 11:02 a.m.

Edited the answer. The issue is with authentication to JIRA and not with JSON data.

David Reilly commented Sep 25 '18, 11:26 a.m. | edited Sep 25 '18, 11:28 a.m.

Whatever the issue is, whether it be that separate schemas doesn't come through DTA file, or if a DNG template isn't capable of authenticating to alternate data sources at runtime--- the net result is the same. 

While I have your attention, do you have any response to this post's question?
"using this external variable "_runMacro" though it's unclear if you can even pass variables...You pretty much can't use macros with DNG Templates"

My workaround to the DTA problem is to execute my JIRA HTTP request in a macro upon document generation. Is this possible?

Thanks,
David

Subramanya Prasad Pilar commented Sep 25 '18, 12:20 p.m.
Macro execution takes place at the end (post processing). Though you manage to do HTTP request in a macro, the data returned from JIRA cannot be used for document generation.
The option for such templates is to use RPE Launcher or Document Builder for generating document.

David Reilly commented Sep 25 '18, 12:50 p.m. | edited Sep 25 '18, 12:55 p.m.

Subramanya -

Please help me understand. 

I have Rational DOORS Next Generation. I also have Rational Publishing Engine. 

When I post my RPE Templates (.DAT) to RDNG, can those templates execute a macro?

What do you mean by post-processing? As in, after the documents have been generated and saved by the user?

Subramanya Prasad Pilar commented Sep 25 '18, 12:56 p.m.

Yes. You can execute a macro. But macro execution is the last step in document generation.

David Reilly commented Sep 25 '18, 2:11 p.m.
Is it the solution described at rpeactual? If so can I pass variables to the macro?

If not, can you elaborate please?

Subramanya Prasad Pilar commented Sep 26 '18, 4:40 a.m.
Exactly. Passing variables to macro is explained in the following blogs:

But note that the embedded RPE reports don't have all of the same functionality in CLM as they do from RPE. You cannot run RPE post-commands through DNG. I am afraid you cannot run macro with variables as well with DNG.

David Reilly commented Sep 26 '18, 10:55 a.m.
Subramanya - 

So there it is. DNG users of RPE cannot execute macros post-processing.

That should probably be noted in the user guides, along with the mention that DNG isn't capable of integrating other data sources with RPE. 

Thanks for clearing that up. 

David
showing 5 of 9 show 4 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.