It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What trips the Spam filter, and how can I avoid that?

Will Cummings (378) | asked Sep 18 '18, 1:58 p.m.

I've spent better part of two hours trying to ask a complicated usage question on Report Builder, and keep getting the error "Your message has been marked as Spam".... Tells me to go back and change my wording, but no indication of what I need to change.  VERY FRUSTRATING!  I've made multiple attempts, all to no avail.

I have a question summary, a smaller and smaller question description, tags, categorization, indicated areas my question relates to...  nothing seems to make a difference!

Please help!

Comments
Jackie Albert commented Sep 18 '18, 2:36 p.m.

Can you just post your question here?

Will Cummings commented Sep 18 '18, 3:28 p.m. | edited Sep 18 '18, 3:29 p.m.

I can try...  but it is completely different from the Spam topic of this thread.

This thread questions why my other question keeps being marked as spam.

Will Cummings commented Sep 18 '18, 3:34 p.m.

Just tried... ironically got "your comment seems to be spam" error...  :-(

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Sep 19 '18, 2:30 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

This site uses Akismet as a spam filter. It is fed by us administrators with all the crap spammed into the forum we ban, such as ads for suspicious companies, magicians from India to fix your relationship and the content in Chinese or other languages that is unrecognizable (to me).

You can look into the Forum FAQ and send an e-mail to the address mentioned there to let them know the problems with the content you wrote. 

Writing to that mail address is usually a better idea than asking such question in this forum, because the forum is usually monitored by SME's for the products and not the web site management team. Another option you have is to file a defect here: https://jazz.net/jazz02/web/projects/Community%20Feedback#action=com.ibm.team.dashboard.viewDashboard 

Will Cummings selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Will Cummings commented Sep 19 '18, 11:01 a.m.

Thanks Ralph.  I'll do that (email the Forum FAQ).  In the meantime, I've been able to ask the question successfully (though no answers yet), but have no clue how I succeeded ;-)

2 other answers

permanent link
B M (412) | answered Apr 04 '20, 12:07 a.m.
edited Apr 04 '20, 1:11 a.m.
sigh... I guess even 1.5 years later this is still an issue... 

Will, 

Can you please share the "voodoo magic" you have learned to successfully post questions via this (confounded) forum software??  Like you, I too have wasted almost 2-3 hours (!!) trying to post my carefully written installation issue question with references to log snippets, etc. and have been just as FRUSTRATED by it constantly flagging it as spam!  

(Ironically, the initial attempt had gone through, and I had submitted an edit to a single word (NO special characters) in the 1st sentence for clarity but the "WYSIWYG" editor apparently had butchered the formatting of the "pre" sections when it re-rendered the OP (clearly a bug).  By then it was too late and apparently attempting to revert to the 1st revision or deleting and attempting to repost is considered "spam"!  Unbelievable...)

To the forum admin
There really are better ways to combat spam now VS just feeding things into a naive Bayesian filter, ex:  (Re)CAPTCHAs , mathematical problems in the form of images, etc. 

I have tried emailing the address presented when attempting to post (which I believe is the same as in the FAQ) but I'm not very hopeful that I will get a response with the weekend starting now (it didn't really provide a subject or template either so I'm not sure how the webmaster is supposed to know how to find problematic submission?)

Furthermore, attempting to go to the URL you listed to file a bug-report results in (after logging in):

Error!

The action specified in the current URL is invalid.

Action: com.ibm.team.dashboard.viewDashboard    

(looks like clicking on the link "run default action" allowed the page to eventually load though) 

Have you considered moving to something more modern/less buggy, ex: perhaps a jazz.net hosted StackOverflow site?  and on a faster server?  (searching for "flagged as spam" in the current software literally took 20~30 seconds (an eternity by most sane usability standards) at ~11PM DST on a Fri (?!) )

Extremely Frustrated, 
- B

permanent link
B M (412) | answered Apr 04 '20, 1:05 a.m.
edited Apr 04 '20, 1:06 a.m.

Ok, i finally got it to post.  I'm not sure which of the following (or combination of) did it:  

1. a mod acted on my account/email I sent to the webmaster (at this hour) and/or 
  2. manually cleaning up the WYSIWYG generated HTML tags via the HTML source editing mode button in the top-right and/or
  3. the noticing of "<" and ">" characters in logs causing auto-closing tags to be added- and manual replacement with "(" and ")" and/or
  4. the planets magically aligned in a rare conjunction right after the vernal equinox
Hopefully this helps anyone else that runs into this issue!

PS:  I noticed the tag generation JS is a bit buggy too as clicking on the checkboxes doesn't always add/remove the tags

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.