It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is a server rename a function of?

Stephane Couillaud (15632344) | asked Sep 11 '18, 2:11 p.m.

We are contemplating doing a server rename to switch from using HTTP to HTPPS.  I would like to get a rough idea of the time it will take.  Does anyone know if it's a function of the number of artifacts with each application servers?  Without doing a test run, is there a way to get a rough estimate of the time it may take?  I'd be curious to hear about anyone who has gone through this exercise lately.

Thanks.

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Sep 12 '18, 2:23 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Sep 12 '18, 2:24 a.m.

No system is alike. So numbers of others don't really mean anything. I would suggest you clone your environment to an isolated test system and then you test the server rename/public URI change. This is especially also required since you will have to familiarize yourself with it and test all the stuff that is required to use HTTPS.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 13 '18, 2:21 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Sep 13 '18, 6:24 p.m.

I am not the expert here, but my understanding is that for the applications (JTS, CCM, QM, RM, AM), a server rename is primarily creating the server mapping table and modifying a few property files (no changes to the actual artifacts), whereas for the LQE and LI, the rename actually changes all of the URLs in the index records.   So the cost for JTS, CCM, QM, RM, and AM is a relatively constant cost, while the cost for LQE and LI is proportional to the size of the index.

If anyone knows (or believes) otherwise, please post a response here.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.