It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the maximum limit of output data in RPE report generation?

Jyotsna Prasad (1920) | asked Aug 30 '18, 4:52 a.m.

Hello,

Is there any data limit set for RPE (Rational Publishing Engine) output generation as when I create a basic template with say ~30 attributes and ~7000 objects each of them having ~30 attributes, RPE report generation gives warning in console as "CRRPE3604W The template element 37 (row) has been processed for 10000 times which exceeds the defined treshold. This is normal for templates processing large data sets but can indicate a problem with the execution of the template otherwise."

Once the report execution is completed, it doesn't generate the output with Error as "Template cannot generate the output".

Is there any possibilty to maximize output data in RPE report generation?

Thank you.

Comments
Jyotsna Prasad commented Aug 30 '18, 11:31 p.m. | edited Aug 30 '18, 11:31 p.m.
The complete error description in rpe.log file is - 

com.ibm.rational.rpe.common.utils.RPEException: Invalid output state.

at com.ibm.rational.rpe.engine.output.OutputController.checkOutputState(OutputController.java:40)
at com.ibm.rational.rpe.engine.output.OutputController.end(OutputController.java:68)
at com.ibm.rational.rpe.engine.core.executor.TemplateExecutor.processElement(TemplateExecutor.java:900)
at com.ibm.rational.rpe.engine.core.executor.TemplateExecutor.processElement(TemplateExecutor.java:887)
at com.ibm.rational.rpe.engine.core.executor.TemplateExecutor.processElement(TemplateExecutor.java:887)
at com.ibm.rational.rpe.engine.core.executor.TemplateExecutor.processElement(TemplateExecutor.java:711)
at com.ibm.rational.rpe.engine.core.executor.TemplateExecutor.processElement(TemplateExecutor.java:711)
at com.ibm.rational.rpe.engine.core.executor.TemplateExecutor.execute(TemplateExecutor.java:427)
at com.ibm.rational.rpe.engine.RRDGEngine.run(RRDGEngine.java:1318)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:811)

One answer

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k15) | answered Aug 30 '18, 5:14 a.m.
RPE has a detection mechanism so that user will be warned if any dubious patterns occurs at run-time.  You can see that Loop threshold warning is set to 10000 by default (in Preferences -> Engine Preferences). Hence RPE prints the warning when an element processing count exceeds 10,000. If you set this property to 0, no warning will be shown.

I am not sure why the output is not getting generated. Do you see any error in log? Does increasing Java max heap size (–Xmx) help? You can try increasing max heap size in %rpe_home%\studio\rpe-studio.ini and %rpe_home%\launcher\rpe-launcher.ini.

Comments
Jyotsna Prasad commented Aug 30 '18, 6:30 a.m.

Hello Subramanya,

Thank you for your response.

I am not getting warning now when I changed the Engine Preferences settings as suggested by you.

But the report is still not generated and the error message in console is - 
"CRRPE3096E Output processing could not continue due to an error.
[Error context] Template is C:\sampleFolder\sample.dta
[Error context] Template element is 26
CRRPE1064I Error in engine

Invalid output state.

CRRPE3012E IBM Rational Publishing Engine error.
Invalid output state.
CRRPE1064I Aborting engine execution...
CRRPE1064I Document generation finished in 2353 seconds. 
CRRPE3603I Enable the Core Debug Mode for RPE to receive additional information on errors.
CRRPE1022I The process was completed in 2,353.691 seconds.
CRRPE1023E The document could not be generated. "

Subramanya Prasad Pilar commented Sep 02 '18, 12:42 p.m.

Can you check the URL in the console just before CRRPE1064I Error? Does the same URL work if tried in browser?

Kumaraswamy Gowda commented Sep 03 '18, 11:00 a.m.

This doesn't look like data limit issue. I can see the below in the logs.

[Error context] Template element is 26.

Try to debug the template using https://rpeactual.com/2014/11/11/rpe-1-3-serviceability-debugger/.
May be print/log using _sessionLogger or System.out.println the element id 26 value before it is even rendered. See rpeactual for details on the logging.

Thanks,
Kumar

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.