It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Requirement Linking in Defect Creation from a Test Script

Timothy Distel (73148) | asked Aug 21 '18, 11:46 a.m.

Hello,

I am using CLM 6.0.3, soon to be upgraded to 6.0.6.

I have a request from jazz users to modify the requirement link generation when creating a defect from QM. Is it possible to remove the requirement links that are generated when a Defect is created from within a test script? Currently, I have one environment pulling requirement links from entire test scripts, and another environment pulling only the requirement links associated with the particular test STEP where the defect was created. Neither of these is ideal, and one environment is cloned from another, so I am unsure of what has changed. Does anyone have information on how this is configured, or anything I can do to prevent requirement links from being generated?

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 22 '18, 2:30 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Could you explain why you don't want requirement links to be added to the defects?   

Timothy Distel commented Aug 22 '18, 3:11 p.m.

Because currently in our production environment, the generated requirement links are from the entire test script. So when a defect is created it can have up to 15-20 requirement links. When only one requirement is actually being affected, this causes more rework on those who analyze defects to find the one relevant requirement link out of the group of irrelevant links. It would be preferable for the tester to manually link the singe correct requirement than have those from defect management retro actively analyze all of the incorrectly generated links to find the one that is affected.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Krupa Gunhalkar (4512) | answered Aug 22 '18, 10:02 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Timothy,

There is no such option to avoid the linkage of requirements when a defect is created if at all requirements are linked automatically, reason being if a test case /test script is a result of some requirement and they are linked, when a defect is created out of those steps, developer will come to know because of which requirement (which again might be linked to development WI) , code change has happened and defect is created.

Since this option is provided for trace-ability purpose and is of common use. any unusual need has to be addressed individually by the user.

Thanks and Regards,
Krupa Gunhalkar

Timothy Distel selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Krupa Gunhalkar (4512) | answered Aug 22 '18, 3:11 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Timothy,

There is an option to remove the requirement links from test script steps if the user has appropriate permissions to do so. It is independent of the fact that whether the script is linked with defect or not.

However, from the explanation it looks like you have some different configuration where in you are cloning the environment. So this does not explain the full configuration picture . So, try giving appropriate permissions to the user who are trying to remove the requirements links. One more thing is, when a defect is created, work item link is created but not requirement link.

Please contact support team for any setup related issues.

Thanks ,
Krupa Gunhalkar

Comments
Timothy Distel commented Aug 22 '18, 7:58 a.m.

Krupta,

Thank you for your answer, however I believe there may have been a misunderstanding. I do not want to remove the requirement links from the test script step, what I would like is to remove the requirement links added to a defect when a defect is generated from a test script. I understand I can instruct users to just remove all of the generated requirement links on the defect, however it would be preferable to not have those links generated/associated with the defect at all.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 22 '18, 4:16 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You can also submit an enhancement request against RQM, including the explanation from your comment indicating why you need this.   It sounds like you still have an open question though, as to why it sometimes is linking in just the requirements from the current step, and other times linking in all requirements from the script.   It might be worth posting that question separately.   Note that a forum post is intended to be a specific question, rather than a "topic area".  Making sure your post is in the form of a question is one of the best ways to avoid entangling multiple separate questions in a single post.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.