It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a way to remove a parent link from a work item using CSV import?

Kim Williams (56133) | asked Aug 20 '18, 12:57 p.m.
retagged Aug 30 '18, 10:57 a.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)

In RTC via CSV import, I am able to add a parent link to a work item using a #<ID number> format.  Is there a way to remove a parent link using the CSV import?

One answer

permanent link
Ken Tessier (84117) | answered Aug 30 '18, 10:57 a.m.

I found the following in Importing work items from a CSV file in the Eclipse client. I've highlighted the key points in bold.

"Select to create or update work items.

To create work items, select Create a new Work Item.
To update existing work items, select Update matched Work Item. To be able to update existing work items, the CSV file must contain a column for the work item ID (usually Id). The Import Work Items wizard uses the IDs to find matching work items.
To create work items for records that do not have matching existing work items, select Create a new work item for unmatched entry.

To update links in existing work items with the links in the records in the CSV file, select Replace existing links with newly imported values.

Note
For links between work items to be created, all of the linked records must be included in the imported CSV file. For example, if Record A is a duplicate of Record B, but Record B is not imported, the duplicate link is not created. Instead, a custom attribute that contains the duplicate information is created. If you update existing work items, be sure to import the full set of records that you imported originally."

Ken Tessier

Comments
Kim Williams commented Aug 30 '18, 11:20 a.m.

Thanks, Ken for taking the time to look this up.  One other question, for the removal of the link, I would just leave the Parent column blank in the CSV file, correct?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.