It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to modify the presentation of RTC Work Item Link, References, or Links fields?

Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | asked Aug 03 '18, 1:47 a.m.
Greetings,

I am trying to build a customised Change Request work item for a client who needs to be able to track reviews and approvals from one or more SMEs. These are considerably more complex than the standard Review/Approval attribute type and actually work really well as linked Task type work items.

What I want to be able to do is:
 - have the CM manager select one or more required SME review types from an attribute containing a list
 - for each selected, create a new linked Review task, prefilled with the review type and an associated manager Owner who will delegate the review to a SME
 - display a list of the associated SME reviews using a References, Work Item List or Link type of presentation
 - in that presentation, display a summary of the Review Task Name, as well as the Owner and State

The Links tab will remain in place and will be used for supporting attachments, and Affects Requirement links to associated DOORS NG artefacts that are the subject of the change.

Right now the References presentation style is almost perfect for what I need but it only displays the ID and name of the related items. If I could add extra columns it would do exactly what I need.

Does anybody know if the presentation can be modified or customised, or if you can set a presentation somewhere? Looking in the HTML source, it appears to be tagged as a Compact presentation type.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Lukas Steiger (3131625) | answered Aug 03 '18, 7:00 a.m.

Hi Darryd,

Do you know LinksGrid by TechRev? They offer a grid like view of all your links, which sounds like what you are looking for. A potential downside of it is that it's commercial, so you have to pay to use it and it is not open source, so you can not modify it to your needs by yourself.

The other option is that you write it by your own. 
- Create a Non Attribute based Presentation
- Analyze the link list 'this.args.workItem.linkTypes'
- Iterate the 'linkDTOs'
- Iterate the links
- HTTP call to get the data behind the link
- render everything as a HTML table

Our Status History Presentation is a good starting point, it will guide you through the first two steps mentioned above :-)

Best Regards
Lukas

Davyd Norris selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Davyd Norris commented Aug 03 '18, 8:08 a.m.

Thanks so much for the tips Lukas!! Those steps are really useful!

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Aug 03 '18, 2:02 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Davyd, it is possible to create custom presentations as Eclipse client and server extensions.
I don't think you can change the Reference presentation.

Comments
Davyd Norris commented Aug 03 '18, 2:26 a.m.
Thanks Ralph - I had hoped you would see this and reply! This is all to be done exclusively in the Web client and your blog has been invaluable to me, saving me what would probably have been weeks of frustration trying to make the JavaScript API talk to linked work items, so many thanks!

I'm not wedded to the exact internal mechanism by which the links end up being presented, but the core of this CR process is a long list of potential affected areas/parties, and for each selected area a SME needs to examine and sign off on the change with their reasoning and discussions captured.

Basically this is a very large Systems Engineering civil project and the current Requirements Change Request process is completely manual, labour intensive, and paper based. The requirements are all in DOORS NG and right now they manually reference the IDs. This could really transform the project.

I need the Links tab to be reserved for requirement related links, and a SME summary tab to show the current state of SME review tasks

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 03 '18, 2:46 a.m. | edited Aug 03 '18, 3:40 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Davyd,

As far as I know, the links tab is as it is and you can not configure it to only show certain link types. You can use the reference presentation as it is with all the limitations.

You can create a custom editor presentation which you could add to a tab and as it is custom it can do whatever you please. It is not trivial, I haven't done it. But I know that others have. https://github.com/jazz-community shows some examples from the Siemens Team. I happen to know that they have also created a custom editor presentation similar to the reference presentation to help them move away from ClearQuest.

They did this only for the web client as well. Other customer have created buttons to create linked work items in the Web UI.

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ContributingAttributePresentationsV2 is all I know about it.

Davyd Norris commented Aug 03 '18, 8:03 a.m.
OK Ralph, my turn to give back to you :-)

You can indeed restrict the types of links shown and able to be created in the Links tab. It's one of the default tabs so you have to either unlock it or duplicate it, but once it's unlocked you can go into the presentation and pick which links are displayed/available

Davyd Norris commented Aug 03 '18, 8:07 a.m. | edited Aug 03 '18, 8:10 a.m.
Secondly thanks for the tips - I'll have a look and if I end up successful I'll publish the process.

Really appreciate all of your tips mate. The old Rat pack knows their stuff :-)

I have marked yours as useful and Lukas as accepted because you can only have one accepted answer - but they are both really useful.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.