It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to maintain parent & child work item while importing csv file

Kiran A (31249) | asked Jul 30 '18, 6:02 a.m.
retagged Aug 03 '18, 6:07 p.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)

Hello Team,

I have created a csv file with parent and child work item (eg: Parent work item is Milestone and Child work item is Task i.e., Requirement 1 is a Milestone and Requirement 1.1 Task, Requirement 1.2 Task are Child of Requirement 1). I need to maintain parent and child link at the time of uploading .csv file for creating work items. Please do suggest some ways to maintain parent and child link at the time of uploading .csv file. 

One answer

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813574) | answered Jul 30 '18, 10:27 a.m.

Assume this is RTC?...

Best to put in an example set of RTC Tasks (parent and Child)  then then export to csv will give you everything you need and add columns for  ID, Type, Summary,Parent (as a minimum).

1. Suggest you change to actual number on the import and use  - Requirement 1 is a Milestone and Requirement 2 Task, Requirement 3 Task are Child of Requirement 1

2. You need to add "#" before the ID for the Parent

The answer is simple: RTC is smart
RTC is able to use any ID in the import file to determine the link to set, but use actual/real (new) IDs during import.
So here is a demo.csv:

Id,Type,Summary,Filed Against,Parent
1,Task,aParent,aCategory
2,Task,aChild,aCategory,#1

Comments
Kiran A commented Aug 01 '18, 1:29 a.m.

Hello Muller, 

Thanks for the reply.

One more doubt I have, In My scenario I have two releases i.e. Release 1.0 and sub iterations, Release 2.0 and sub iterations. Eg. My target is Design from Release 2.0 and I want to set it in the csv file itself. I know its possible through Eclipse by generating xml file and modifying the tagert id with the identifier. I want to do this activity in browser itself. Is there a way to set particular iteration like I mentioned in the scenario in the csv file or is there a option to set the target id while uploading csv file?

Matt Muller commented Aug 01 '18, 10:08 a.m.

Hello Ananth,

It's not exactly clear exactly what you are asking, however my view:

I do not think it's possible to edit the csv import whilst using the web - Import Work Items from csv

Take a look at the help: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_6.0.6/com.ibm.team.workitem.doc/topics/t_importing_work_items_csv_file_web.html

You could investigate a mapping file?

I assume you are talking about "Planned for" attribute so you should be able to export some example data with "Values" and then you can use this to set up your import file.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.