It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Problem with Jazz team Server

Narayanan Potti (27037379) | asked Oct 12 '09, 2:02 p.m.
Hi

I've installed RTC ver 1.0.1.1 on a machine running Windows server 2003.

I am having problem getting Jazz Team Server to stay up and running. Jazz Team Server doesn't start up unless someone logs in to the Widnows server as Administrator. As soon as Administrator logs in to the server the Jazz Team Server starts up and when the Administrator logs off it stops. Why does this happen ? How can I get the application to stay up and running ? Why doesn't Jazz team Server appear as a Service listed in Winodws under Start. Administraive Tools, Services so that it can be configured for either manual or automatic start up ?

Please Help !! This has become a show stopper in my environment. any help is appreciated.

Thank You
NP

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Oct 13 '09, 8:45 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Now that it all comes back, I should have been more specific.....

I am not sure which syntax I used but try com.ibm.team.fulltext.indexLocation=C:/path/to/the/origonal/file/workitemindex

or file://C:/.........

I think I remember the latter was used in the provisioning files.

I'd suggest to first make the paths like the workitemindex and the ones in the provisioning files absolute first and try to run the server from the server.startup.bat. If that works correctly and no errors come up make it a service and do the last steps e.g. the java environment in tomcat5w.

2. In Step 4 : Execute C:\jazz\server\tomcat\bin\tomcat5w.exe

This exe requires that you have successfully executed the service.bat in the tomcat/bin which takes parameters. tomcat5w requires parameters (you then need to create a batch or start it directly from the command line) if you changed the service name from the default in service.bat. If you start tomcat5w you should see a window. One error if you missed to setup tomcat as a service using the service.bat would be that there is no service that tomcat5w can configure.

Ralph

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Oct 13 '09, 8:21 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

please make sure to have the rights you need. e.g. the tomcat5w tries to enter a service which means altering the registry etc. I would assume you get an error otherwise but....
When I did setup RTC to run as a service I CDed to the directory and then ran the exe. You should see error responses. One issue could be you have a service of the same name already. There are parameters to create a new named service.....

If you still experience issues, I'd suggest to look up apache.org for help.

After the service has been installed you need to follow the steps to provide the required environment. Basically what you do is providing the environment that is set up in the server.startup otherwise. Because several configuration settings after the install use relative paths you need to make sure to make them absolute. This usually requires to replace any ./ by "Absolute path to directory where file resides"/
I have seen cases where ./ was replaced by the "Jazz Server install directory" that is not what is meant in all cases (especially not in case of the provision files). If done wrong the server will not work.

RTC needs to store index data. The default location is workitemIndex which results in a file relative to the server directory e.g. JazzTeamServer/server/workitemIndex . This is in done in the advanced server properties which are stored in the teamserver.properties . Change the path to an absolute path.... wherever you want the workitem index being located.

Hope that helps a bit - follow the tech note it is really easy (once you did it correctly once 8-) )
Ralph

I found this tech tip on including Tomcat in windows services - http://jazz.net/library/techtip/72

The tech tip brings more questions -

1. Step 3 says make sure that the WorkItem text index is specified with a fully qualified location. Edit teamserver.properties How to specify a fully qualified location ? The teamserver.properties is currently set to - com.ibm.team.fulltext.indexLocation=workitemindex

2. In Step 4 : Execute C:\jazz\server\tomcat\bin\tomcat5w.exe to configure the service. Nothing happens when I execute this file. What could be the problem ?

Please help !

Thank You
NP

permanent link
Narayanan Potti (27037379) | answered Oct 12 '09, 2:28 p.m.
I found this tech tip on including Tomcat in windows services - http://jazz.net/library/techtip/72

The tech tip brings more questions -

1. Step 3 says make sure that the WorkItem text index is specified with a fully qualified location. Edit teamserver.properties How to specify a fully qualified location ? The teamserver.properties is currently set to - com.ibm.team.fulltext.indexLocation=workitemindex

2. In Step 4 : Execute C:\jazz\server\tomcat\bin\tomcat5w.exe to configure the service. Nothing happens when I execute this file. What could be the problem ?

Please help !

Thank You
NP

Hi

I've installed RTC ver 1.0.1.1 on a machine running Windows server 2003.

I am having problem getting Jazz Team Server to stay up and running. Jazz Team Server doesn't start up unless someone logs in to the Widnows server as Administrator. As soon as Administrator logs in to the server the Jazz Team Server starts up and when the Administrator logs off it stops. Why does this happen ? How can I get the application to stay up and running ? Why doesn't Jazz team Server appear as a Service listed in Winodws under Start. Administraive Tools, Services so that it can be configured for either manual or automatic start up ?

Please Help !! This has become a show stopper in my environment. any help is appreciated.

Thank You
NP

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.