It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

It is possible to adjust Existing project in RTC based on newest Project Template?

Jozef Hutansky (111) | asked Jun 27 '18, 8:07 a.m.
retagged Aug 03 '18, 1:53 p.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)

Hello,

I've got request to adjust an 4years old Project to the newest Standarts.

The difference between used template for Project and new Termplate is significant, new attributes, other workflow, dashboard, querrries, skripts for calculated values, reuiered fields ....

Thank you

4 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jun 27 '18, 10:28 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Jozef,

as far as I can tell, only if

1. You use process sharing
  2. The new version of the process is based on/developed from the shared process your project area is sharing

you could switch the shared process to the new version and this would work. There might still be things you need to do e.g. with respect to required attributes in the new process etc.

I am not aware that there is any automated process to upgrade in other scenarios. 

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813574) | answered Jun 28 '18, 5:28 a.m.
edited Jun 28 '18, 6:23 a.m.

Jozef,

I find this is always a difficult question;  you need to understand the impacts for each RTC configuration change.

The impacts from Adding NEW, updating to removing information.... will give you a level of "Data Migration"

The Impact Assessment is key >

Is this old version a historic template from which your Newest developed?  or was the newest a version based on IBM?  etc.

If you compare the XLM for the Process Configuration how much is different?

I would Replicate in a DEV environment and then create a representative data set to use for testing.

No easy answer on this..

Matt Muller

permanent link
John S F Lander (901941) | answered Jun 28 '18, 8:53 a.m.

Jozef,

Easy to update the process with copying of the process configuration xml, but accessing the impact of that as you stated could be huge.

I would think about creating a new PA with the new process and migrate(export & import and set your field mapping) any WI's across that need to and make the old PA Read Only.  This would also enable you to add any historical attributes that are not needed in the new process as Read only in the new PA 

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jun 28 '18, 8:59 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

This could literally render the project area not functional. If and only if the new template is a successor of the old template would this likely succeed. It is basically like using the shared process.

Only do this with a lot of testing on a test copy if the whole system.

For work item copying see https://github.com/jazz-community/rtc-workitem-bulk-mover-ui

If you want to use process sharing see https://jazz.net/library/article/1008 and the product help.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.