It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC eclipse with Java EE capabilities

vikrant kamble (1322996) | asked Jun 27 '18, 7:30 a.m.

Hello,

Downloadable eclipse available on RTC 6.0.5 (zip file download) does not come with Java EE features such as creating dynamic web projects. One of the other way is to download normal eclipse and install p2 repositories. Is there RTC eclipse available equipped with Java EE features or only way is to use normal eclipse and install RTC p2 repositories. I have this concern because we have recently upgraded CLM from 5.0.2 to CLM 6.0.5 and we want users to use latest eclipse instead of RTC 5.0.2 and we have to circulate this among 300 users

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jun 27 '18, 10:01 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Vikrant,

as far as I can tell, there is not a bundled version of Eclipse RTC with EE. There is a P2 install for RTC available.
What I have started doing recently is to download a zipped version of Eclipse that I wanted, added RTC via P2 install and other capabilities if needed. If you do that, you can usually provide the eclipse with everything inside as a ZIP file that users can basically unzip to a location of their choice. Automated distribution should also be possible.

I would test the version you build before shipping.

Note if you open a workspace with the new version, you will likely not be able to open it with the old version any more.

vikrant kamble selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
vikrant kamble commented Jun 28 '18, 1:14 a.m.

Hello Ralph,

One of the way is to install eclipse with Java EE capabilities and install RTC 6.0.5 p2 repositories into it, can we go other way around i.e. Install RTC eclipse 6.0.5 and install Java EE features on top of it. 

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 28 '18, 2:37 a.m. | edited Jun 28 '18, 2:39 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Sure, you can try that. The caveat is that the RTC client does not ship the update sites, so you would have to find and provide them or use the marketpalce. I think the approach Luis and I describe is simpler.

vikrant kamble commented Jun 28 '18, 7:03 a.m.

I will agree to to you, approach Luis and you have suggested are much simpler than Adding java EE to eclipse. I think I will go with this approach and try to figure out if somehow I can replace eclipse logo with RTC logo. 

One other answer

permanent link
Luis Peregrina (18114) | answered Jun 27 '18, 9:56 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hello Vikrant, unfortunately there is no RTC Eclipse bundle with Java EE, the only way is to use the p2 over an Eclipse installation with Java EE feature installed.

Comments
vikrant kamble commented Jun 28 '18, 1:13 a.m.

Hello Luis,

Can we go other way around, i.e. install Java EE features on top of RTC eclipse? 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.