It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DNG Rename Project Component or Stream

Sean F (1.3k243150) | asked Jun 19 '18, 6:59 p.m.
It is possible to rename a DNG project from the Manage Project Area page.

If configuration management is enabled for the project I cannot see any way to

1.rename a stream of the project
2. rename component within a project
3. rename a stream of a component within a project

just want to check that these 3 operations are actually not possible or whether I am missing the technique of how to do it?

10 answers

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k243150) | answered Jun 21 '18, 12:22 p.m.
^Thanks for the link to that video Matt.

I have got it working now.

It works when I create the change set from the stream drop down.:-

Create change set. Make changes. Deliver Change Set to current stream. Deliver changeset to  other streams.

Before i was creating the change set from inside the Manage Components and Configurations. I could not get that method to work as the newly created change set is somehow not active. Not to worry anyway. As long as I have a method that does work.

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813574) | answered Jun 21 '18, 3:45 a.m.
edited Jun 21 '18, 3:56 a.m.

Sean,

1. Make sure you are in the correct component.

1. If you Switch the Configuration context >by selecting the drop down next to the Stream on the RHS.

> Rqmts Management config,

> Select Change Sets Menu (change from Streams > Change Sets)

> *   will display all of your Change sets.

2. No you don't have to use WI - Optional.

Have a look at this video's it shows both RTC WI and DNG Change sets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G65e5yaxlAI

When you see how you use RTC to link to the Change Set - adding process of Review and Approval will help your release and also "historical" views on what work was done, decisions etc.

It really depends on the scope of your project, how you are managing Change and verification and validation for your requirements.

If you step this up a level to using Multiple Streams in DNG and then have those mapped into GC for a Global View then you will need to read the articles on Global config Strategy.

This may help you when you are considering a Release of Multiple Components and preparing the NEXT product / Project release.

Anyway - hope this answers your DNG questions.

Matt

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k243150) | answered Jun 20 '18, 5:38 p.m.
edited Jun 20 '18, 5:47 p.m.
^Thanks Rosa I got the renaming working now.

^Thanks for the Change Sets tip Matt.
I was playing around with streams but not using change sets. It was working fine and seems quite good but I was using very simple scenarios so i can imagine it would get very gnarly in real world scenarios. This is where change sets would help as i think you are suggesting.
I have changed the stream settings to 'require change sets'
Now artifacts are no longer editable in the stream and there is a message saying change sets must be used.
I have created a change set for the stream.
When I go back to edit an item it is still not editable and the message about using change sets is still there.

1. How do I 'open' my change set so that I can start doing edits and they will get added to the change set?

2. Do I have to use RTC work items to use change sets as you have mentioned you do or is that optional?There is a message inside the change set saying 'This change set does not have any work item links.'. I am not sure if this is implying that a work item is required before any changes can be made in the change set.

If there is any step by step DNG example anywhere of how to create a stream, make it require change sets, create a change set, add some changes to the change set, deliver the change set to another stream it would be useful.

I would rather stick to DNG only if it is possible to avoid getting into RTC

permanent link
Rosa Naranjo (2.9k11623) | answered Jun 20 '18, 9:37 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Sean
Have you seen this article on comopnent strategy: https://jazz.net/library/article/90573

Comments
Matt Muller commented Jun 20 '18, 10:06 a.m.

Rosa,

That's about GC not about the DNG Configuration?

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k243150) | answered Jun 20 '18, 5:42 a.m.
edited Jun 20 '18, 5:43 a.m.
^Thanks Matt.

I have only been using streams in whole projects so far. Not using components.

My understanding and the observed behaviour seemed to be in that scenario that all changes did take place in change sets. When I go to deliver changes it offers to deliver 'changes sets' and that is what seems to happen.

I did notice the option when setting up streams in components to tick a box to use 'change sets'. I did not notice this option when I was using Streams without Components.

So is the default to use change sets when components are not being used and to not use change sets when components are being used?

Also do you have any other best practice tips when using components and streams in DNG based on your experience?

Comments
Matt Muller commented Jun 20 '18, 5:50 a.m.
Sean,
Suggest you look at the History on the Stream;   If you do NOT use change sets then too much is recorded and it's a mess.
I search about for a long time to get a Strategy for DNG and the best way to manage "Changes"
So we have DNG "components" and force the use of Change Sets and link to an RTC work item..  Great feature
Matt
ps I'm a consultant if you need help?

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813574) | answered Jun 20 '18, 3:53 a.m.

Sean,

It looks like you can re-name the DNG components in a similar way to the Stream Re-name

> If you are looking at using Components then I would recommend editing the DNG Stream Setting "Details"

Tick the box - To edit this stream, changes must be made in a change set...  

It makes it much easier to compare the changes etc.

Matt

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k243150) | answered Jun 19 '18, 8:47 p.m.
Thanks Rosa,

I am on 6.0.5

I have not tried using GCM. I am just using components functionality within DNG.

Do you know if the Component can be renamed from within DNG?

If not I will have a look at the GCM interface.

permanent link
Rosa Naranjo (2.9k11623) | answered Jun 19 '18, 8:43 p.m.
I was able to rename components by going to the Global Configuration app, then browsing components, selecting one and then when I edited a component, the title field was editable.

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k243150) | answered Jun 19 '18, 8:32 p.m.
^Thanks Rosa.

And do you know if it is possible to rename a component within a project?

Comments
Rosa Naranjo commented Jun 19 '18, 8:38 p.m.

What version are you on?

permanent link
Rosa Naranjo (2.9k11623) | answered Jun 19 '18, 8:24 p.m.
A stream can be renamed from the stream editor. If you navigate to the stream from the context picker, once in the stream editor, there's an option to rename the stream by clicking on the title.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.