It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Unable to Save Work Items due Follow-Up action

Alexander Haddaway (1112) | asked May 11 '18, 3:40 p.m.
edited May 11 '18, 3:43 p.m.

Hi guys,

I'm facing some issues trying to Save some specific Work Items type SI/Soporte (Business Request) on RTC and we get this message error:

"Exception running followup action. An unhandled exception occurred during "Summarize Effort".
NullPointerException."

I want to drop this exception/pre-condition on this operation, I'm only able to Save with Administrator account. Is it something to change on the Project Area Administrator or is it on the code?

Jazz Version 6.0.1

Thanks in advance!

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered May 17 '18, 3:20 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited May 17 '18, 7:33 a.m.

The failing follow up action "Summarize Effort" is a custom extension. RTC does not ship with any follow up action out of the box. Ask the author of the extension to debug why it is failing, or remove the entry form the process configuration.

Having the REPOSITORY ROLE JazzAdmin does not have any impact on executing follow up actions. The only characteristic that, I think, could contribute is that the JazzAdmin repository role provides visibility to all data. E.g. this user can see linked work items even if the access rules would not allow the user to see that. If the follow up action is not written in a way that accounts for access permissions, this could explain what you see.

As Ryan already mentioned, remove the follow up action from the configuration (or get it fixed). You don't have to reboot anything if you remove the follow up action from the process configuration. This takes effect immediately when you save the process configuration. Fixing the follow up action will definitely require a re-depoyment and a server restart.  

"I'm fully able to Save if I have JazzAdmin access, but as a simple JazzUser I can't change anything on the Work Item. "

This statement indicates a potental lack of understanding how Repository Roles, Project Area Membership, Roles in Project Areas, the list of project area Administrators really work. You might want to check at least https://jazz.net/library/article/292

permanent link
Ryan McFadden (191218) | answered May 15 '18, 9:42 p.m.

check your Preconditions & Follow-up Actions for the project area where you are having difficulty saving.  I suspect you have the "Summarize Effort" follow-up action defined at least one user group.  Remove that Follow-Up Action since it is throwing a Null-Pointer Exception.  The code that is executing as part of this extension will need to be looked at to see the cause of the exception before it is ready for use on any user group. 

Comments
Alexander Haddaway commented May 16 '18, 4:11 p.m.

I removed the Precondition who defined that follow-up action, but still can't save the WI. Does it need to restart the server for being applied? Because of some cache memory...

What is about this code executing, in this case I'm just using the web RTC not the client on eclipse...

Ryan McFadden commented May 16 '18, 9:02 p.m.

Once the precondition & follow-up action have been removed, the effect should be immediate. If in doubt you can also refresh the browser where the work item is displayed, but a reboot of the server would not be required.  

If you are still getting the same Null-Pointer Exception from that same follow-up action then look to see if that user is part of multiple user groups and remove the follow-up action from all of the groups.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered May 14 '18, 9:51 a.m.

Administrator account is not a clm term.

With JazzAdmin role, you can add yourself as an administrator in the project area.
As member of the administrator group or JazzAdmin you can give yourself the required roles and permissions to save the configuration. So you can remove the operational behavior.

Comments
Alexander Haddaway commented May 14 '18, 9:56 a.m.

I tried to remove this exception for the Project Area, but still didn't work. I wonder if it's something issued with the Work Item, the way was created of this is a limitation from the type of WI.

Ralph Schoon commented May 14 '18, 10:31 a.m.

You don’t provide any information that could help diagnosing the problem. 

Alexander Haddaway commented May 15 '18, 3:31 p.m.

Hi, I'm sorry... let me try to explain again.

This is the error we got: WI error

I tried the remove this followup action here: Preconditions

But still didn't work for those WIs who are unable to Save. Do I have to restart the server to apply these changes?

Alexander Haddaway commented May 15 '18, 3:32 p.m.

I'm fully able to Save if I have JazzAdmin access, but as a simple JazzUser I can't change anything on the Work Item.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.