It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Update Module after Export (Word)

David Reilly (69240) | asked May 08 '18, 1:16 p.m.
edited May 08 '18, 1:19 p.m.

Hi Jazz Forum,  

If I have a module within rDNG and export to a word format, is there any way to ensure that updates made to the word document be reflected in DNG?

Example: We export a module using RPE. This document goes through a round of reviews and the document is updated. We then take the RPE-exported document and attempt to import it back into the module it originally came from. 

Is this possible? Is there some other alternative which will net our desired result? This question is integral to our approach.

Version information:
RDNG v6.0.2. iFix005

Thanks,
David

Comments
David Reilly commented Aug 02 '18, 3:30 p.m.

Can anyone point me to an open enhancement for this?

2 answers

permanent link
Dolores Vogel (1031337) | answered May 08 '18, 3:17 p.m.

David - If you can give the reviewers access to comment and complete reviews, you could handle the review inside RDNG and avoid the export/import. I understand there are license costs, education needs, and other potential issues, but it's one solution that would let the tools work for you. 

Comments
David Reilly commented May 08 '18, 3:31 p.m.

Hi Dolores - 

I am aware of the review functionality in the application. Unfortunately, our documentation is being passed to our client and they do not have access to our system. They will often take our copy and make updates to the file directly.

Your emphasis of the review system definitely does give me pause and I will push that for our internal work as much as possible. 

Thanks,

David 

Dolores Vogel commented May 08 '18, 3:39 p.m.

We run into the same issue with "external" people, and people who just love to have their Word documents. The only other solution is to upload vs. using a module, but then you lose the ability to parse the content into multiple artifacts for linking, and all the other functionality. Either way, if you find a good solution, posting it here would likely help me and others. :)  

David Reilly commented May 08 '18, 3:50 p.m. | edited May 08 '18, 3:52 p.m.

Thanks Dolores. Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. It'd be an enhancement to say the least, but checking out a module and then allowing DNG to do what it does best would be far more ideal than us having to chop it together. 

I think the only silver bullet that will come through is if the OSLC API is vastly improved, allowing for users to create modules with existing artifacts, etc. Then an RPE-style report could potentially be fed back into the site. I can dream, right?

And... if someone can correct me if I'm wrong, I think they did it with 6.0.5. https://jazz.net/pub/new-noteworthy/rdng/6.0.5/6.0.5/index.html#16 

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k16) | answered May 08 '18, 2:37 p.m.

After updating the exported Word document, importing it back into RDNG should work.

Comments
Dolores Vogel commented May 08 '18, 3:13 p.m.

I'm pretty sure that will not work. The only way I've found to update artifacts with an import is importing a CSV. So you would have to convert the Word document into a spreadsheet and add the IDs for each artifact to update them. Other than deleting the first module and importing the updated version, I see no real way to do that. If you're sending the module around for review, why not just handle the review inside RDNG and update it there as needed? 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.