It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Project Name in Traceability View

Sean F (1.3k243150) | asked May 06 '18, 9:09 a.m.
edited May 06 '18, 9:17 a.m.

When creating a traceability view in DNG it does not seem to be possible to include the project name for the traced artifact. This would be very useful as you may be interested in identifying which artifacts belong to which project when viewing a traceability column.

A workaround I thought of would be to create an artifact attribute called 'Project name' for example with a default value equal to the name of the project.

Then all artifacts can have their Project queried in traceability columns.

The only problem is that it does not work. If you create an attribute with a default value then the default value is only applied to artifacts created after the attribute was created. Existing artifacts will have the attribute defined but the value will be blank.

This is different to the way DOORS Classic used to work, Attribute default values would apply to all objects unless a specific value is set for that object. DOORS Classic also allowed Module (with path including Project name optionally) to be in the traceability report.

Is there any other workaround anybody knows of to allow an artifact's project (and/or module) to be displayed in a traceability column to give context to the results?

Even if there were a way to manually set the value of the new artifact attribute 'Project Name' to be equal to 'Project01' for example for all pre-existing artifacts (or all artifacts of a given type) in the project that would even be a usable solution.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered May 06 '18, 3:29 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The JRS Report Builder is more self-serve than RPE, and it's especially good at row/column reports, including traceability reports. Note that it does not include all of the text of large requirements artifacts and doesn't show diagrams (in contrast to RPE, which can pull complete requirements artifact text and diagrams from DOORS NG). 

For example, here is one report I created and use here on jazz.net:

All reports:

You can start learning more about JRS Report Builder here:

Sean F selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Sean F commented May 06 '18, 3:55 p.m.

Thanks Daniel

2 other answers

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered May 06 '18, 1:07 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Can you accomplish your use case with JRS? Project name is available as an attribute when constructing traceability query patterns and reporting with Jazz Reporting Service Report Builder.

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k243150) | answered May 06 '18, 3:07 p.m.

Thanks Daniel.
I can achieve this result using RPE (I am not sure if that is the same as JRS?)
The question came up in the context of people doing reviews and loading traceability views while performing review activity so a more dynamic/on the fly traceability view was being sought.
I will have a think about ways we could make the RPE report quicker and easier for users to generate.
The DNG traceability columns could really use access to context information like module/project I think.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.