It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Steps to Module Reorganization

David Reilly (69140) | asked May 01 '18, 3:01 p.m.

Is there any easy way to reorganizing modules and artifacts within the module content folders?

From what we can tell, in order to create new modules from existing modules, we have to move both the module artifacts and the base artifacts. 

Is this something which could be better accomplished through scripting, reqIF, CSV? 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

One answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered May 01 '18, 8:33 p.m.
edited May 01 '18, 8:34 p.m.

Since each module has its own content folder, I don't know why you need to reorganize the artifacts in such folder. To reuse a (base) artifact, you simply add it to a module. When you reuse a particular (base) artifact in multiple modules, it is impossible to put the base artifact in the corresponding content folder for each module, and you can just leave the base artifact where it is. I'm not aware that you can reuse a module artifact.

Comments
David Reilly commented May 02 '18, 10:10 a.m.

Donald - 

When we ingested our data, we did it by the project. So for each project requirements document, we created a module. We have certain requirements that would actually be better off alongside requirements of a similar group, however, they are currently in different modules. Since each module has a content folder, the base artifacts are in a context that isn't ideal. Our goal is to align those base artifacts into the same folders, while also maintaining the hierarchy of said artifacts within a module. In short, our existing modules aren't "modular" in the functionality they express. So in order to make things easier for users (and satisfy the needs of mgmt) we have to reorganize to better fit the pieces of functionality rather than the documents they originally came from. 

Does this make sense? Let me know if you need any additional details. I would really appreciate some guidance on this.  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.