It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

use of # in tags field, is it beneficial?

Dano Colombo (111) | asked May 01 '18, 7:34 a.m.

I believe I understand the use of the # symbol in text fields in distributed applications, but with my experience using IBM Rational Change and Configuration Management for a while, the "Tags" field in the tool is a special type.  It is not used for free flowing text and documentation. The values in the field are specifically used for searching and hence the use or inclusion of a # symbol is a useless.  I looked for some basic documentation on the use of the field, believing there would be an explanation of the use and recommended use of the field, but no luck finding documentation.

(Even the use of tags on the help page gives suggestion that a # symbol is not necessary)

Any insights, suggestions, challenges of using or not using?

Comments
Dano Colombo commented May 01 '18, 1:52 p.m. | edited May 02 '18, 2:20 p.m.

Maybe another way to put it... if you had 3 teams using tags with basic words, and one team wanting to put # in front of all their tags, how would you approach it for attempting to maintain consistency? Would you be for using #, is there any benefit of having #? 

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 02 '18, 2:22 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I am aware of no benefit for putting a # in front of RTC tag names, so I would recommend not doing so until you have some good reason for doing so.

Comments
Dano Colombo commented May 03 '18, 8:50 a.m.

Thanks Geoffrey, either am I. I am challenged with the information to the use of Tags and the special data type to share with other department that wants to add # to some tags they are in need of, while the others don't use #. This causes just a mess.

Thanks for you confirmation that you do not see advantage.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.