It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Controlling access

John McCauley (132) | asked Apr 13 '18, 4:32 p.m.
retagged Apr 25 '18, 10:55 a.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)

I am part of a team that is adopting RTC. Our team operates as a service supporting 40+ other projects also using RTC. <o:p> </o:p>

We have a project setup with our backlog. The backlog contains items that are dependencies to the other projects. Currently we are using tags to assign stories to projects. Each of us are assigned to more than one project. <o:p> </o:p>

I have created views that show the work items for each project. Then using the project association feature with the project that the view is showing the UX stories for. <o:p> </o:p>

This works great but only if everyone from all other projects are added to our RTC project--effectively giving everyone access to our backlog. We can’t do this. It would also be a nightmare to maintain a huge access list, i.e. more than 150+ people.  <o:p> </o:p> There is an everyone option in Access Control, but that would give even more people access.

What we want is if we add a view to a dashboard as part of a project, that anyone that has access to that dashboard, can see any content from our backlog that shown. The same would be true for queries. Note this access would only be read-only.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 16 '18, 7:47 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

John,

RTC read acces works based on project area. So users need to have access to the project area to be able to see stuff. If they can see stuff, they can typically see everything. For Work Items it is possible to use a read access context restriction. There is a category based automation available. see https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2016/01/27/manage-access-control-permissions-for-work-items-and-versionables/ which has a description (as far as I understand the mechanisms). this can be used to limit visibility to work items owned by team areas.

There are more capabilities, but only on work item level and besides category based, there is no automation.

I don't have a simple answer for you, unfortunately. RTC was made  for collaboration and transparency way more than for information hiding. 

John McCauley selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
John McCauley commented Apr 16 '18, 9:57 p.m.

Thanks for responding.

Are you saying that with "automation" writing code? this is possible?

Could this be another approach?

Use the everyone access control option.

Then use another tool to control access to have direct access to the web content. Indirect via another project site is allowed.

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 17 '18, 1:40 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I explained the automation options I prototyped for another customer here: https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2016/01/27/manage-access-control-permissions-for-work-items-and-versionables/

One other answer

permanent link
Ken Tessier (84117) | answered Apr 25 '18, 10:54 a.m.

This tutorial might also help: Control access to project areas and their artifacts.  

Ken

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.