It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Rolling up of hours to parent from child items

Surendranath Matta (132) | asked Apr 13 '18, 11:39 a.m.

I have seen the question . This was from 2012.

Now, I am using 6.0.4 version of RTC.
is there any other way to get the hours rolled up from the child items to the parent workItem without using the extensions?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Apr 16 '18, 2:16 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The Planning Component does roll up of complexity and execution item estimate and time spent across parent/child within one project area. If the built in stuff is not sufficient you can write enhancement requests or look for a custom solution.

Although I have written https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/07/31/rtc-update-parent-duration-estimation-and-effort-participant/ It is a crutch and I don't like the underlying design and architecture.

A better solution would be to use reporting. Another alternative that would avoid storing the calculated data in an attribute would be a presentation that does the calculation when a work item is opened.

Surendranath Matta selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Surendranath Matta commented Apr 16 '18, 2:43 p.m.

Ralph,

Is it possible to just get the total hours spent from all the child items - instead of total hours spent / total estimated hours ? I would like the progress bar replaced with just a string or integer, representing the actual hours spent. 

Regarding the solution using reporting, can you throw an example or link that I can follow?

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 17 '18, 2:42 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

If you can collect information from three attributes, you should be able to only collect it for one.

I have no example for such a report.

One other answer

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Apr 15 '18, 11:17 p.m.

I dont think v6.0.4 has the built-in follow-up participant as suggested in question.
The best option would be using "Work progress" bar as suggested in the question(2nd answer)
===
If you are using the work item editor then you can add the progress bar. Its a non attribute based editor presentations and is called "Work Progress". Check it out if it helps.
==
In Parent work item, when adding work progress, you will see
Hours Done : 45 of 411.5 (11%)
when hover on the progress bar, here, 45 hours are sum up of all Spent time in child work items.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.