It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

View to show specific artifacts, including a higher level artifacts in module hierarchy

Andrey Kulpanovich (471311) | asked Apr 12 '18, 2:13 p.m.

How can I create a view, where a module is filtered by specified artifact ids. This view must include a top-level non-heading artifact in a hierarchy. I am not talking about a parent-child relationship in this case.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Carol Watson (71016) | answered Apr 12 '18, 2:21 p.m.

Hi Andrey,

The best way I've come up with is to 'tag' the artifacts I want in the view, then filter on that Tag to create the View.

Unlike DOORS, DNG doesn't have 'show descendants' or 'show ancestors' options.

You can tag multiple artifacts at one time, up to 200 artifacts I believe.  

Good luck,
Carol

Andrey Kulpanovich selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Andrey Kulpanovich commented Apr 12 '18, 4:02 p.m. | edited Apr 12 '18, 4:04 p.m.

Hi Carol,
thank you for responding. Do you know by any chance if during module migration from DOORS to DNG links could be created automatically to all non-heading ancestors?

7 other answers

permanent link
Carol Watson (71016) | answered Apr 12 '18, 4:14 p.m.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that one Andrey!

Carol

permanent link
Rosa Naranjo (2.9k11623) | answered Apr 12 '18, 5:00 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hello
Why not just use Artifact ID as a view filter condition? see screenshots. I was using 6.0.4 release.

permanent link
Carol Watson (71016) | answered Apr 12 '18, 5:11 p.m.

That works, but to do what Andrey is asking you'd have to include all of the top level artifact ID's too. The list could get long.

permanent link
Rosa Naranjo (2.9k11623) | answered Apr 12 '18, 5:20 p.m.

I am not sure what is meant by "This view must include a top-level non-heading artifact in a hierarchy"
or how you tell the view which top level non-heading artifact.

I know that I gave him how to do this "create a view, where a module is filtered by specified artifact ids."

Outside out of that I need more information as to the other part, otherwise I cannot visualize what Andrey is asking for in addition to create a view where module is filtered by specified artifact ids.

permanent link
Carol Watson (71016) | answered Apr 12 '18, 5:50 p.m.

In DOORS you could select any Object, then filter to 'include current object' + indicate if you also wanted to show 'Descendants' of that Object.  We used this frequently to display 'only objects in Section 2.0' for example.

I think that's what Andrey is trying to do, select certain artifacts and show a specific level of artifacts above or below (for context) without having to list each Artifact ID in the filter.

Is that correct Andrey?

Comments
Andrey Kulpanovich commented Apr 13 '18, 11:38 a.m.

Thank you for a better explanation. That is exactly what I am looking for. I am trying to recreate views in DNG similar to what we had in DOORS. In DOORS you can target any requirement and all ancestors optionally could be shown for traceability purposes.  It seems that the only option would be a custom script, which will query XML file for a specific module, retrieves information for module structure and shows all top-level artifacts of provided artifact ids.

permanent link
Rosa Naranjo (2.9k11623) | answered Apr 17 '18, 11:15 a.m.

UPDATE:
I asked dev to review this forum post. They came back and said what is requested is not supported by DNG.  Please file a Request for Enhancement for this so it can be properly evaluated and triaged according to the RFE process.

permanent link
Lyn Ng (11) | answered May 30 '21, 8:51 p.m.

Hi, I have the same question like Andrey.  I know the question was asked several years.  Does DNG has the option like classic DOORS whereas we can select any Object, then filter to 'include current object' + indicate if also wanted to show 'Ancestors' of that Object?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.