It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

launchpad.exe does not launch

Brian Wolfe (25613625) | asked Oct 06 '09, 11:02 a.m.
some of my users try to run launchpad.exe on windows to install the rtc client and it does not start
no errors, no UI.
They have been able to successfully install on secondary machines.

Has anyone seen this phenomenon?

8 answers

permanent link
Chris Daly (61651) | answered Nov 29 '10, 3:30 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I think there are two separate issues here. I've filed these two defects:

missing install.xml in RTC 2.0.0.2 downloads (https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/140854)

140855: RTC 2.0.0.2 launchpad does not work on windows server 2003 (https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/140855)

Note that the first one should not be a problem in 3.0 (we added a default install.xml file) but the launchpad issue may still be present in 3.0.

Chris Daly - RTC Install team lead

permanent link
Harry Koehnemann (30125238) | answered Nov 18 '10, 10:17 p.m.
This problem just began for me using the web installer for 3.0 betas. My workaround has been to download the full install, launch the Installation Manager already installed on my compute (it updates automatically if needed), and then point to the RTC 3.0 installation config file. But I don't think this approach scales well for the masses when 3.0 is released next week.

Has anyone else installed the 3.0 betas succesfully? I did try removing the env variable as described by the previous author. And I am administrator, and I select "Run as Administrator" when I click the launchpad.exe. It seems there is a problem launching the IM that bundles with the RTC install.

permanent link
Thomman TJ (9521111) | answered Oct 27 '10, 4:45 a.m.
Hi,
Faced same problem, double clicking launchpad.exe or starting from command line didn't worked.

It got resolved by removing User Environment variable entry for TEMP and TMP.

Steps followed
-----------------
Step 1) from system properties > Advanced Tab > Environment Variables

Step 2) then in section, User variable for Administrator

Step 3) remove the variables TEMP and TMP

Step 4) log-off and log-in back

Step 5) double click on launchpad.exe.

It worked for me

tom

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Nov 11 '09, 2:25 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

please be aware that it is also possible to install if launchpad does not launch.... The Readme.txt provided in the launchpad directory talks about how that works. This might also be interesting if one has no UI access e.g. installing in a terminal session.

Ralph

permanent link
Narayanan Potti (27037279) | answered Nov 11 '09, 12:41 p.m.
I encountered the same problem today. When run launchpad.exe in Windows Vista 64 bit machine it would appear with blank under New Installation. Once I copied over the install-client.xml am able to run the Install.exe and start the IBMIM.

Thanks a lot for posting it !

NP

Finally figured out how to work around this which I posted in my blog. For those who want the short version (for the win32 version, adjust to your platform):

- Go to the win32 directory.
- Create a copy of the install-client.xml file and save it as install.xml
- Execute the win32\install.exe

If this was documented somewhere then it should be highlighted some more.

ciao!

permanent link
Anuerin Diaz (4112517) | answered Oct 12 '09, 5:01 a.m.
Finally figured out how to work around this which I posted in my blog. For those who want the short version (for the win32 version, adjust to your platform):

- Go to the win32 directory.
- Create a copy of the install-client.xml file and save it as install.xml
- Execute the win32\install.exe

If this was documented somewhere then it should be highlighted some more.

ciao!

permanent link
Anuerin Diaz (4112517) | answered Oct 12 '09, 3:26 a.m.
I am encountering this again on the Win AS2003 and even the uber-admin account does not work. I can't figure out what was the command being passed on by the launchpad to invoke a direct RTC installation. I already tried the launchpad.bat file (which fails because of wrong expansion) and the command in the autorun.inf.

Logging a separate RTC ticket for this sounds appetizing but the question is if the Jazz team has the resources (OS version) to test it. :(

ciao!

permanent link
Anuerin Diaz (4112517) | answered Oct 07 '09, 4:08 a.m.
I have. We tried installing RTC 2.0 on a Windows Advanced Server 2003 and this happens even if my domain user account is a member of the local administrators group.

And then we used a "domain level" administrator account and everything installed properly. It seems in the Windows world some admin accounts are more admin than others. Unfortunately we did not investigate further what was the missing privilege on my domain account.

ciao!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.