It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Formal Planning showing incorrect load and tasks at wrong place

Ahmed Omair (41134) | asked Apr 06 '18, 12:30 p.m.

I have a client who is using formal planning process in RTC version 6.0.5. I have following team structure

Parent Team
 - Child Team A
 - Child Team B

I have quarterly iterations against which I have created quarterly plan for Parent Team. I have a plan for 2018 Q2. I have same resource in Child Team A and Child Team B. I allocated the resource from 1st Mar to Jun 30 60% to Child Team A and 40%  to Child Team B. The load bar in the plan shows total available hours to 3 times actual available hours for the resource. The total available hours for the resource for both teams is e.g. 400 hours however on the load bar it shows 1200 hours.
 I have a second scenario where on the resource tab all tasks assigned to the against Child Team A are shown below Child Team B. Child Team B tasks also appear against Child Team B.

I am at a loss what can be the problem. I had CLM version 6.0.2 installed in which this problem existed. I upgraded to 6.0.5 and the problem still persists. 

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 09 '18, 4:40 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

In my experience over the years the problem was more often than not the (wrong) configuration of RTC rather than a defect in RTC. From the description, I don't know what could be the reason here. One factor I am aware of that can cause "more available hours than expected" is that some users specify "parallel" iterations. e.g. an iteration Milestone 1 from Feb 1 to March 3 and another iteration ReleaseTest from Feb 1 to March 6. This would cause more than double of the time counted. I would also carefully check where each resource is really assigned and with what percentage. Maybe test this out in a small test system with only few members.

Also be aware what bars and data is shown e.g. load and progress https://jazz.net/library/article/586

Your second symptom: too few data available. If you see stuff where it is not supposed to be I would check the owners in the plans and the plan configuration.

Comments
Ahmed Omair commented Apr 09 '18, 4:58 a.m.

We do have parallel iterations in the project area.
We have a project concept for which we have project teams and project iterations. Each project iteration has its own timeline that can be in parallel to other project iterations. The project plans owner are project team and iteration is one of the project iteration.

For routine work we have a complete organization hierarchy and each team in that hierarchy has plan owned by that team and iteration as quarter iteration. Quarterly iterations are parallel to project iterations.

A resource can be part of multiple teams and the resource allocation is done each quarter by using the date ranges and the percentages in the plan.

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 09 '18, 5:03 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Timelines can be parallel. What is not supported is defining overlapping iterations within one timeline. Within a timeline iterations of each level must partition the interval they specify.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.