It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Cross Project Plan: Not able to edit workitems from other Project Area

vinitha dsouza (14719119) | asked Mar 26 '18, 4:10 a.m.

Hello Team,

In the cross project plan, we cannot modify the workitem attributes from other project areas.

Can you confirm whether this is possible or not?

3 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 02 '18, 5:58 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Like Ralph, my understanding is that this is not supported.   You certainly could submit an enhancement request for this functionality, but you'd want to provide compelling reasons why it is important to your organization that this be done in the context of the plan, rather than navigating to the target repository, since cross repository operations are usually expensive to implement efficiently.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 27 '18, 4:54 a.m.
edited Mar 27 '18, 5:11 a.m.

I don't think all of the effects are documented. I have been looking into this for a while and I am still often surprised about what I see. I think that in general user expectations about miracles RTC planning should be able to do is exceeding what real capabilities can be made available by far.

In addition the question here is so oversimplifying that it does not even make any sense to try to answer it see my favorite How should I ask a question in the Forum if I want to receive useful answers?. The answer already triples the amount of data in the question.

Documentation, there is the product documentation, there are articles about how things work and we have added information in the Wikis. If you really read the documentation you will be able to find a lot (e.g. that parent child rollup is not supported across project areas. But who really reads it anyway? The articles add details about what works and how to use it.

Here what we did for multi repository stuff. https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/PlanForMultipleJazzAppInstances . There is a wee bit on planning.

In general what you should expect (with planning, again oversimplifying).

A plan lives in a project area. The plan should be able to display the work items from that project area. It should be able to show parent child relationships between work items in that project area. It should allow to modify attributes of project areas that live in this project area.

If plans show work items from different project areas, be happy.
If plans allow to modify attributes for work items in other project areas (including link creation), be happy. Don't expect it to be possible.
If plans (like cross project plans) show work items from other project areas in other repositories, be happy and do not expect to be able to change the remote items in that plan.  

To be able to change work items in other project areas and even in other repositories, the specifications like OSLC would have to make it easy to delegate display and modify operations, which they don't. Or the planning component would have to make a lot of risky assumptions, manage all the different data specifications and handle all the delegation operations. This is just not happening. The OSLC link "Tracks/contributes To" for example does not even have to have work items on the ends. It can be an (OSLC) change request and that would not even have to support the state concept or any other concepts and attribute types work items support.

The cross project planning is made to be able to manage items in your project area and to be able to get a visualization for the plan items and their execution schedule on the other end. To keep the complexity and performance impacts low, you can only see very few information and not even look into the link relationships on the remote end. Performance considerations also limit what other plans support.

One thing you should not expect a lot about is what you can not do. It is practically impossible to document what you can not do. The amount of things you can not do is infinite.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 26 '18, 4:28 a.m.

As far as I can tell, that works as designed.

Comments
vinitha dsouza commented Mar 26 '18, 4:32 a.m.

Do we have any supporting documentation for the same? Any reason why this is not allowed?

Kevin Ramer commented Mar 26 '18, 5:38 p.m.

I would say that constructs that allow one cross repository boundaries are much like a border crossing in that they allow individuals to freely pass, but as non-citizens of the crossed-into realm, their authority are now controlled by that realm, not the one they left.

In Jazz, repositories can be made friends, but that is simply to setup that border crossing.   One must work with remote delegation to gain more permissions.  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.