It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Overwriting Preconditions on the Team level

Arina Dobkin (161) | asked Feb 05 '18, 2:44 p.m.

Is it possible to overwrite Preconditions that were set on Project area level on the Team level to ensure that precondition specific to particular team will only impact this team?

I tried, but was not able. I tried to overwrite Source control / delivery preconditions, but specific precondition was not even in the list to add. Maybe there are instructions on how to do this.

Thanks

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Feb 05 '18, 5:17 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Please read Process behavior lookup in Rational Team Concert 2.0 and the permission lookup to understand how this works.

Comments
Arina Dobkin commented Feb 06 '18, 1:44 p.m. | edited Feb 06 '18, 5:05 p.m.

Thanks Ralph for the link, I read it but it still does not answer my question.
I checked, I have full set of roles on both Project and Team areas, so permissions are not the issue.
Now, article says:
We first look for a configuration in the governing process area and then work our way up the parent hierarchy to the project area.

This is exactly my case, I have configuration on the Project area level, BUT, I want to ovewrite it on the team level. If I add it on the team level, everything will work, RTC will first check lower lever, will check parent levels, since none of them is marked as Final, system will take configuration from Team level.
Problem is, I cannot add configuration on the child level... When I try to select precondition, from the list, I simply do not see precondition I need. As a matter of fact, I do not see any other preconditions that were defined on the Project area level... So, how I suppose to overwrite them, if I need....

Thanks

Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 06 '18, 5:07 p.m.

Remember that the search for pre-conditions are "first match".   So if you specify any pre-conditions for a given role at the team level, the search for pre-conditions will stop at the team level, and will only use the pre-conditions specified at the team level.   So in particular, if you want to keep any of the pre-conditions specified at the project area level, you will need to add them at the team level.

Arina Dobkin commented Feb 07 '18, 9:59 a.m.

Hello Geoffrey,
My problem is that I cannot create preconditions on the team level!
I understand how applying conditions work, but I cannot add any....
And I do not understand why I cannot create them on the team level.

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 07 '18, 11:03 a.m.

Can not create is not an information anyone can work with. If you have permission pronblems, UI problems or error messages, that is something workable.

Arina Dobkin commented Feb 07 '18, 1:10 p.m.

Hello Ralph,
As I mentioned earlier, I do have all necessary rights, I am an admin.
There are no error or warning messages either.
But behavior is strange:
When I try to select precondition, from the list, I simply do not see precondition I need. As a matter of fact, I do not see any other preconditions that were defined on the Project area level... So, if precondition is NOT defined on parent level, I can see it on child level and define it. If precondition is defined on parent level, it does not appear on the child level. Maybe it is possible to check in the code how preconditions list is filled? Are there any conditions what is added and what not?
Thanks

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 07 '18, 1:26 p.m.

RTC version? Did you use the web UI as I would suggest. You should see all possible advisors if you check the checkbox to configure preconditions for the role. Be aware there is work item save (server) and client. They have different choices. Can you try if you can configure an iteration?

Admin is not a valid concept, you have a repository role Jazz Admin or ProjectAreaAdmin or you can be a member of the project area admins.

All those basically only allow you to grant you permissions. jazzAdmins just see every information there is in addition and can add themselves as member of project area admins. But I agree, you should see the available choices anyway.

I would expect you can see every available precondition. If you don’t maybe your process comfiguration is broken. Also provide detail on project area substructure. 

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 07 '18, 1:27 p.m.

sorry, I meant to say, try the Eclipse Admin UI and not the Web Admin UI. My brain just suffered a crash..... 

showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Feb 07 '18, 2:32 a.m.
edited Feb 07 '18, 2:35 a.m.

As an answer, a comment won't work.

It is really important to read Process behavior lookup in Rational Team Concert 2.0
and the mentioned Process Permissions Lookup in Rational Team Concert 2.0
and to familiarize yourself with what it explains and what not. TLDR or even reading it only once or twice does not cut it, I think. I still sometimes struggle with this, so read it carefully. Make sure to really understand how the mechanism works and knowing that understand how configuration in the tools work. So, I hope I get it right, to my best knowledge:

Important points how it works
- Operational behavior is executed and configured for operations (such as work item save)
- Operational behavior is tied to the operation and a role
- Operational behavior is checked for execution beginning with the process area that owns the object that is changed (e.g. work item) for the roles of the user executing the operation in the order of the roles given to the user in the context of the check; every user has the Everyone/Default role as last role in any given order
- Operational behavior, is only executed for the first match of a role and configured operation behavior

So other than for permissions, operational behavior does not aggregate and is only executed once, if a configuration for a role has been found. The mechanism allows e.g. to configure behavior for everyone on project area level, but other role/process area confiurations can override this configuration. It is not automatically inherited.

The evaluation order is process area, roles of the user in the process area and then iterate the areas up in direction to the project area. Note there is also a temporal aspect, you can configure iterations/iteration types in timelines.

What the documentation does not imply is that a team area configuration inherits the configuration of the parent project or team area. Inheritance can be only indirectly achieved by not configuring any sub team area and working with the fact that configuring it on the project area level will impact the behavior on all levels.

It is up to you to configure the level you want and the process template decides which levels are configured by default. You can basically (for example) configure work item save for the the everyone role in a team area completely different from the project area basically overriding the other configuration for elements owned by the team area (and its sub areas).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.